Thread: US Prospects Camp

Question US Prospects Camp

In the Prarie Post (Page 22, in the Bronco Notes) it says that Jamie Porter (Bronco head scout) is going to the United States to attend the U.S. Prospects Camp. The interesting part of that is that they are saying the league will hold a player draft tuesday with the Broncos picking 5th. This is news to me as i havent heard anything about this draft before (anywheres). So is this legit?

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman
    In the Prarie Post (Page 22, in the Bronco Notes) it says that Jamie Porter (Bronco head scout) is going to the United States to attend the U.S. Prospects Camp. The interesting part of that is that they are saying the league will hold a player draft tuesday with the Broncos picking 5th. This is news to me as i havent heard anything about this draft before (anywheres). So is this legit?
    Can you post the order of this draft?Actually what is it for?US hockey players?

Default U S Prospects Camp ( It's Legit)

WHL to Conduct Evaluation Camp in Anaheim, California
    Created: May 9, 2006
    Calgary, AB - Ron Robison, Commissioner of the Western Hockey League announced today that the WHL will stage a special evaluation camp in Anaheim, California, May 12-14, 2006.

The WHL U.S. Prospects Camp is a new initiative of the WHL in partnership with the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. The WHL U.S. Prospects Camp, which will be held at the official training centre of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim - Anaheim Ice, will feature include the 65 top rated prospects in the 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1992 age categories from Southern California. The players attending the WHL Camp include members of the three (3) Los Angeles area minor hockey teams which recently captured U.S. National Championships - LA Selects, LA Hockey Club and the California Wave.

The WHL U.S. Prospects Camp will open Friday, May 12th and conclude May 14th at Anaheim Ice. The event will mark the first time the WHL has held a player evaluation camp in California. During the 2005-06 season, 16 California born players played in the WHL. The WHL Camp will be held at the Anaheim Ice facilities due to support received from Brian Burke, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and co-owner of the WHL Expansion franchise Chilliwack Bruins, who will begin play next season.

"We believe the Camp will provide an excellent opportunity to evaluate the top young prospects from Southern California," commented WHL Commissioner Ron Robison. "We appreciate the assistance the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim have provided in making the Camp possible."

"The Ducks are excited to be a part of the WHL's first-ever evaluation camp in California. It's a great opportunity for Southern California payers to showcase their skills and get an opportunity in the WHL," commented Brian Burke, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

It doesn't mention a draft though. Aren't US players part of the bantam draft, and after that they can be listed?

California is part of the W's territory so players can come up here. If there is a draft the 92's would be ineliglable till next year, but I would think any of the other players could be listed by any team. There is a story on the WHL site (same as Scout's post), but nothing about a draft.
    Maybe they would have a draft, because of the roster freeze, then like the bantam draft, the players would be exempt from the expansion draft?????
    Last edited by 2,5,andagame; 05-12-2006 at 02:44 PM. Reason: another thought

Broncos pick, 5th overall

Swift Current, Eric Ferber, G, Scottsdale, AZ, 01/07/91

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman
    Broncos pick, 5th overall

Swift Current, Eric Ferber, G, Scottsdale, AZ, 01/07/91
    This pick puzzles me. They were so high on Yonkman and Curtis, why would they pick another goaltender? Either he is something great, or there wasn't much to pick from.

Remember the past, live for the present, look to the future.

I support the TEAM no matter WHO is coach or on the board 'cause I AM A BRONCO FAN!!!!

Default goalies

the choices that swift current and lethbridge made were the 1 and 2 goalies selected for the pacific us team tryouts at us hockey

Default Consistancy

If there's one thing the Bronco's will never fail to be consistant at, it's our goaltending. There are teams out there that are incredibly talented offensively with unreliable goaltending, but can only go so far with that. (See: Moose Jaw)

What we need is a good balance like Vancouver found, talented offense and great goaltending. We have one piece of the puzzle, but lately we still cannot score. That is all we need to truly attain success.
    A Broncos fan I was born, a Broncos fan I will die! GO BRONCOS GO!

Hey QPC its always a good thing to have a few good goalies in the organization. Usually a team with good tenders stock piled are the ones that can get the good offence talent via trade later on. Yes it is interesting they picked a goalie but it doesnt suprise me if he is the best available.