Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Bronco Hall of Fame Inductees announced

Default True

I agree that it should be based on success as a Bronco, but that success shouldn't just come from a certain era to qualify for the hall of fame.

There are many great players from the 80's and possibly stretching into the 90's too, who should be recognized for their contributions, but are being passed over, as the HOF goes deep into Bronco past.
    A Broncos fan I was born, a Broncos fan I will die! GO BRONCOS GO!

It needs to start somewhere and obviously there approach has been to starting to name players to the hall of fame from the further past and working towards more recent players. Like I've said all a long, all the players that are meant to be in the Hall of Fame will bet to the hall of fame at some point. I don't believe naming the players to the Hall of Fame are being name in order of best to worst or anything. There needs to be starting point and naming the players they have is a good starting point. I don't think everyone truly understands the term "Hall of Fame". It's not an order from worst to best. How the players are inducated are not under my control or your control. There are committees for this kind of thing people and it's our job to respect those players that do get inducted rather than constantly questioning every move they make. Maybe you should be on the committee then and see the process that really does go on eh?

3. Default Hall of fame problem

Do Brian Back and Brian Dickie derserve to be in the Hall of Fame? Maybe. Possibly someday I'll be on a commitee and I'll be fighting for Luke Hunter and his 0.50 points per game while a bunch of people question me on the internet. The main point of the Hall of Fame is it's a fundraiser..a fundraiser that may not do well this year cause there is no draw. Trottier and Ruskowski were a draw. Brent Leavins on his own would have sold maybe four tables, but Tiger was a draw. Ken Tarnow and Joe Zanussi weren't much of a draw but Stan Dunn was. Leavins, Dickie and Back all deserve a spot, problem is there needs to a someone who can draw people there.

Induct Joe Sakic and Brian Dickie together. Then people like me get introduced to a Bronco legend like Dickie while seeing the main event like Sakic. Then induct Dan Lambert and Brian Back the next year. It is possible to please everyone.

I like your rationalle...good points made!

SectionD Guest

Default Define Hall of Fame

I am assuming a Hall of Fame is meant to honour the best players ever, the elite of the elite. An all years all star team so to speak. One method of determining if a player was head and shoulders above his peers is his point total. I never saw Trottier play in the WHL but I can make a pretty good assumption that he was above average based on his point totals. Second if a player goes on to have a good or great NHL career that would indicate that player had above average skill in relation to his peer group. This allows me to compare the skill level of a Brian Trottier to a Joe Sackic as these players didnt play in the WHL at the same time but their stats during and afterward would indicate exceptional talent.

Everyplayer who dons the Bronco jersey USUALLY gives his all to the team, that is not a criteria for getting into a hall of fame.

If the Broncos want to have an "Alumni Player Appreciation Night" that is fine, great, I am sure all the old players would enjoy it, but dont call it a Hall of Fame if there is no predetermined criteria to get in. Sure its a marketing strategy to raise money, but use it wisely. Like any marketing strategy it has a limited shelf life and extending past that life will only cheapen it.

Back and Dickie could well be two of the nicest , hardest working guys on earth but that doesnt qualify them as the "best who ever played for the Broncos"

you know I don't know if I agree with you there.

I think idea of the Hall of Fame (esp at the WHL level) is for players who distinguished themselves. Whether that was scoring goals/points, or for hitting like a freight train there's the latitude there to nominate and ultimately induct players who may not have had NHL careers, but were a joy to watch while they were a Bronco.

Now reading the post by the guy who actually watched these guys play and thought that neither were worthy from either standpoint gives a bit more weight to the discussion, than just looking up some stats and saying this guy had the best numbers so he's in the club.

It would be dead easy to induct players then, but by singling out players who distinguished themselves while playing as a Bronco, then you have something else and bit more of a complete picture..
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

SectionD Guest

I understand what your saying and I agree that teams are made up of all kinds of role players. If you look at the announcement by the Broncos of the inductees the only information they gave was number of games played and the goals and assists for each player. Unfortunately those stats are not stellar.

If the Broncos had said that one of the players was widely acknowledged as the key to winning a playoff series with his physical and defensive play (while hurt) and during the year he won the most three star selections, then I can see why he was selected. Barring that information your left to wonder.

yeah that makes sense I think I had to post something in this thread cause I've actually quite enjoyed the back and forth, but you're right when you say that the team should give reasons why this guy was chosen over that guy.

Also from the sounds of it they are starting with more historical players and working their way forward.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

I agree with Willis, it is a fundraiser for the team. With all fundraisers you need to have a product to sell. The marketing department should be doing more to sell Brian Back and Brian Dickie, as their careers stretch along way back into the Bronco vault and are unheard of to younger fans. Were these guys great players, I don't know, more info on them would be appreciated. I remember channel 10 showed when Tiger and Leavins were inducted. When Leavins was profiled they said he had a great career as a Bronco, and was spoken very highly of by his teammates. If I remember correctly his hockey career was cut short by a car accident, after junior hockey. But truthfully I was watching it for Tiger because he was the drawing card. Another thing to remember is that these guys played in a different era, when making the NHL didn't make you rich, alot of guys played junior then went back home because they could make more money on the farm.

As for some of the more recent, bigger name players (Sakic, Lambert, Sanderson etc.) alot are still playing in some capacity, and scheduling is a problem.

I hope the HOF board has plans in place to keep things rolling, and try to pair up bigger names with guys who are a little lesser known, or market the event better.

Might as wait for those Broncos in the NHL to retire so you know they are available. Speaking of which that just may be another reason why some ppl arent picked, in that they cant make it in (just a crazy idea). But yeah this one does lack to drawing power just cause as a 22 yr old i have no idea how these guys were, how they played, teamates opinions, nothing. I aint saying that they dont deserve but they should also explain why they are going in, just a thought anyways.