Thread: Name from the past

Default Name from the past

Daniels scores winner as Aces capture Kelly Cup with 4-3 win over Gladiators

DULUTH, Ga. (CP) - The Kelly Cup is heading to the land of the midnight sun.

Kimbi Daniels' power-play goal 11:43 into the second period broke a 3-3 tie as the Alaska Aces won the ECHL championship with a 4-3 victory Thursday over the Gwinnett Gladiators. The Aces, an affiliate of the St. Louis Blues, won the best-of-seven series in five games and became only the second club in ECHL history to win both the regular-season title and the Kelly Cup in the same year. The South Carolina Stingrays managed the feat during the 1996-97 season.

The teams were tied at 3-3 after a wild opening period.

Guillaume Desbiens scored on a power play three minutes in to put Gwinnett ahead 1-0.

Mike Scott tied the score for Alaska with a shorthanded effort at 12:07, but Jon Awe's power-play goal 51 seconds later restored the lead for the Gladiators.

Derek Nesbitt scored the Gladiators' second power-play goal in four minutes as Gwinnett went up 3-1.

Alaska pulled even before the intermission on goals by Olivier Filion and Cam Keith.

Aces goaltender Matt Underhill blocked 40 shots while Adam Berkhoel made 31 saves for Gwinnett, a farm club of the Atlanta Thrashers.

The Gladiators converted three of 12 power-play opportunities with Daniels scoring Alaska's lone goal on six man advantages.

Added note for you youg'uns. Kimbi Daniels played for the Broncos when they won the Memorial Cup in 1989,

2. Default Kimbi

If my memory is right, I think Daniels scored the 2nd most important goal in Bronco history. He got the tieing goal to send things to ovetime before winning the Mem Cup.

Kimbi could have been an NHL first rounder and superstar. Unreal talent. Remember kids, attitude counts!

Default You haven't lost it yet Willis

Yes Kimbi did score the tying goal. He was a real treat to watch ON the ice.

Alex Leavitt also plays for Alaska.

I thought that is were alex was playing i just didnt want to say anything in case i was wrong. Last thing i need is too look like an ass

Quote Originally Posted by Willis on the Welfare

Kimbi could have been an NHL first rounder and superstar. Unreal talent. Remember kids, attitude counts!
    Very true, still to this day he is one of the nicest skaters I've ever seen, smooth and effortless. He was a treat to watch.
    Always Remembered