Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ben Ondrus

Default Ben Ondrus

(TORONTO) -- John Ferguson, vice-president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced Friday that the club has signed restricted free agent forward Ben Ondrus to a two year contract. In keeping with club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Ondrus, 24, made his NHL debut for the Maple Leafs in the 2005-06 season by playing in 22 games. The native of Sherwood Park, Alberta played 53 games for the Marlies, collecting 29 points (12 goals, 17 assists) with 104 penalty minutes. He played in two preseason games in 2005 for the Maple Leafs scoring one goal and adding four penalty minutes.

Ondrus signed with the Maple Leafs as an unrestricted free agent May 27, 2004.

Congrats Benny!!!!

Default Way to go Ben

Goes to show you don't have to be a super star scoring 100 points to make it. Just have what Ben has, heart grit and determination.

Scout
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

Hard work and desire can go a long way!! Way to go Ben.
    Always Remembered

Benny is an excellent example that a little bit of work can go a long way and overcome any sort of skill defiecency.

Now if only you could leave that crappy leaf team and play for....well....Calgary.

5. Default Well....

I realize I'lll be in the minority with this opinion but I've just about had it with "hard work" and "desire" and all these other terms we use in place of "lack of talent".

Don't get me wrong, Ondrus is a great athlete, and a good character guy. and I'm sure he has worked hard to get his spot.

Playing in the NHL is devalued. It's all about right place and right time. Layne Ulmer, a dynamic goal scorer toils in the minors while we watch Ben Ondrus play dump and chase on HNIC.

And we wonder why NHL hockey is relegated to the Outdoor Life Network in the states where it gets one tenth of the TV ratings of FAT GUYS PLAYING POKER!!!

Minor hockey coaches, it starts with you. TEACH SKILL!!! NO MORE PUCKLESS PRACTISES!!!

Default I agree with Willis???

I agree with Willis. However I think that if the NHL keeps up with the zero tollerence policy for the next 5 years two things will happen: First Ron McLeans head will blow up and second third and fourth line guys are going to have to be able to skate or they will end up as extras in the next Mighty Ducks movie (Mighty Ducks 4: Willis Goes Bannanas).

With the WHL implementing the same policy next season it will be interesting to see how long it takes teams to adjust.
    I think Zidan only wanted to see what would happen if an Italian took a real hit.

I don't know about from a skill level point of view, but I think from a salary cap point of view every team needs at least 3 or 4 Ben Ondruses just to keep their head above water and still stay competitive. Until the NHL bigwigs or players start making massive changes, there is always going to be a place in the NHL for the 'plumbers'.

I don`t dissagree SectionN, however I think the roll of the plumber is going to change. The bottom two lines and the 5th and 6th defencemen are going to have to be able to keep up or they are gone.

Take for example Edmontons #6 defenceman Matt Greene. Everytime that guy was on the ice in the finals against a speedy Carolina team he took a penalty (it seemed like it anyways) and he took two really bad penalties in 5 minutes of ice time in game 5 that cost two goals.

That is just one example, however two years ago Matt Greene was expected to be a pretty sure prospect, now he will have to work on his foot speed just to stay in the game.
    I think Zidan only wanted to see what would happen if an Italian took a real hit.

Basically in the new NHL, the bottom half of the roster will be made up of plumbers with decent skills, and at least average foot speed (and of course a low salary). That is the new style you have to play (like it or not).

10. Default I hope...

I hope you're right OV. I hope to see some skill at the rink and on the TV this year. I'm one of those people that when I pay to see a sport I want to see true pros. I don't care if they smoke ten bags of dope, crash their car into drug stores, or are a "locker room cancer" that parties with Kenton Keith and his dubious ruffian friends.

SKILL!!! If he scores fifty why should it matter if he get's "caught up ice"?

No more "solid two way players".
    Last edited by Willis on the Welfare; 07-12-2006 at 07:08 PM.