Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Making The Cut: Season 2

Ti-girl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear
    I'm rootin for Jarret Lukin!!!!

GO GO GO !
    Meeee too.

Default Jarret Lukin's hockey future is uncertain

Jarret Lukin's hockey future is uncertain after the former University of Calgary player was handed a pair of suspensions in the wake of a positive drug test for cocaine.

Lukin, 23, who plays for the ECHL's Florida Everblades, was given a two-year suspension by Canadian Interuniversity Sport on Friday. Later in the day, the ECHL announced Lukin would be suspended indefinitely pending an investigation.

''It was a mistake off the ice,'' Lukin told The Canadian Press when reached on his cellphone in Florida. ''It's been dealt with and I'm dealing with it now from the media perspective. I'm just looking to move on and put it behind me.''

The Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) conducted the unannounced test on Nov. 3. The sample contained cocaine metabolite, a prohibited substance that carries a two-year period of ineligibility, the CIS said in a release.

''Obviously I'm responsible for my actions,'' Lukin said. ''I don't really want to comment on specifics but it was a mistake. That's not the guy I am, I've already learned from it. It's just tough.

''But I've been dealing with it, I've got a good support group and I just hope to be a better person from it.''

The Dinos provisionally suspended Lukin on Nov. 28, within 24 hours of being advised of the findings. The team said that while no academic penalties were contemplated, Lukin withdrew from the university last month to pursue his hockey career.

He signed with the Everblades on Jan. 29, two days before his appeal began. The CCES and CIS announced Friday that the appeal was unsuccessful and that the suspension would be imposed.

Lukin said he requested a reduction in the sanction because it was not a performance-enhancing substance.

''I tried to fight it in that sense - I wasn't cheating,'' Lukin said. ''And they obviously gave me the two years.''

''I knew it was on the list (of prohibited substances),'' he added. ''I just got caught at the wrong place at the wrong time and I made a bad decision.''

When first contacted by CP, Everblades GM Craig Brush said the team didn't know about the positive test.

''It is news to me,'' Brush said. ''It's obviously something that we have to investigate.''

ECHL commissioner Brian McKenna later confirmed the league would do just that.

''What we've done under our league regulations is suspend the player pending an investigation and we will move forward as quickly as possible,'' McKenna said.

Lukin declined comment when asked why Brush did not learn of the positive test until Friday. Lukin would only say the team has been supportive.

McKenna said he could not recall a similar situation in his tenure as commissioner.

''This is new ground,'' he said.

Lukin, a native of Fort McMurray, Alta., has also appeared on the Canadian television show ''Making the Cut,'' where 36 players compete to be crowned the ''Last Man Standing.'' The winner of the show - which was taped last summer - was to receive an endorsement contract worth $250,000 and agent representation.

A production company spokesman declined comment on Lukin's status on the show since episodes are still being aired.

Prior to joining the Dinos, Lukin played five seasons in the Western Hockey League. The five-foot-11, 185-pound centre played four full seasons with Kamloops and split the 2004-'05 season between the Blazers and Medicine Hat Tigers.

In 312 WHL games, he recorded 86 goals and 126 assists for 212 points.

''You never like to see a player go through this type of circumstance, that is obviously a mistake (on Lukin's part),'' WHL commissioner Ron Robison told the Medicine Hat News. Robison has committed his league, as part of the Canadian Hockey League, to install a similar drug testing policy this season under CCES direction.

The University of Calgary was not sanctioned. The Dinos dropped Lukin from the roster after he left the school.

''He is a young man who has worked hard as a student and athlete, but made a serious mistake,'' said University of Calgary athletics director Don Wilson.

The CIS said that while it was acknowledged and accepted at the doping tribunal hearing that Lukin did not use cocaine to enhance his sport performance, the arbitrator was compelled by the Canadian Anti-Doping Program rules to uphold the suspension as proposed by the CCES.

CIS, the governing body of university sport in Canada, co-ordinates a doping control program in conjunction with the CCES, which does not have a reciprocal agreement with the ECHL.

The university said it provided counselling and support for Lukin while he filed his appeal and completed his courses and exams last semester.

''This is a very unfortunate situation for this or any athlete, and we provided all the support we could for Mr. Lukin, but the rules are clear,'' Wilson said. ''There can be no tolerance for banned substances in sport at this or any other level.''

CIS began its doping control program in 1990. Since that time, it said there have been 44 doping infractions from the 4,900 tests that have been conducted on student-athletes.

''Using any substance on the banned list, whether it is performance enhancing or not, is a big gamble,'' said CIS chief executive officer Marg McGregor. ''Out of respect for the game and consideration of fair play, athletes should avoid all banned substances to avoid getting sidelined.''

I am frustrated because they wanted to replay all of the episodes from the start of the series starting on January 27th and now I have no clue when it will get back up to speed so I can continue taping this show. I was hoping that this show would have been over by the time March rolled around (so I could have had my WHLfans gear,when I go on the Alberta road trip) obviously that is not going to happen,oh well now I will have to wait even longer.

My twitter handle: @SaskHockeyFan23

Quakes16 Guest

Default Us?

I want to watch!!! But I don't know what channel it's on...

Quote Originally Posted by Quakes16
    I want to watch!!! But I don't know what channel it's on...
    I think you are out of luck,unless someone tapes it and sends it too you,I am already doing that for HAF.

There might be another way that you could get ahold of the DVD,I can never seem to find them.

Quakes16 Guest

Sucky.
    I looked on Amazon and they have the best of season 1 or whatever and its not too expensive, so I could get that. But I also want to see the new stuff. =(
    Oh well.

Icon34 Down to the final 3

After the final ice session at the rink,there were 6 or 5,now there are three and they have evened it out so there is 1 forward,1 defencemen,and 1 goalie.

The WHL is represented in the finals and I hope he(Adam Taylor) wins it all.