Thread: Civic Center Expansion

Default Civic Center Expansion

It was announced on the news this morning that the final numbers for the Civic Center expansion are in. City council will meet this morning and review the costs and make a decision on whether the expansion is a go or not. Please can a poster post the decision as soon as it is announced on if its a yes or a no.

Scout
    # 8-9-11-22 ALWAYS REMEMBERED

Default News release 10:00 a.m. Tuesday

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Tuesday, August 29th, 2006

Swift Current Broncos Reach Agreement with City of Swift Current

The Swift Current Broncos are pleased to announce the team has reached a historic agreement with the City of Swift Current in an effort to help facilitate the long term viability strategy of the franchise and insure the Civic Center meets the stringent facilities guidelines as established by the WHL.

Through negotiations with Mayor Sandy Larson and Council, the Broncos have agreed to a commitment of $2 million of equity value of the Franchise.

Bronco Chairman Joe Arling called the agreement “historic in nature.” “The expansion of the Civic Centre is crucial to our long term viability. In light of the costs of the Project, we felt as an organization we could step forward and make a commitment to the City in their effort to get the best deal they can for the citizens and taxpayers of Swift Current.” Current Franchise value in the WHL is estimated to be in the $5 million dollar range. “Mayor Larson and Council have negotiated a terrific deal on behalf of the taxpayers, and the Broncos can move forward knowing we will have a facility that will meet our needs and the WHL requirements well into the future.”

Exercising the option on the $2 million dollars would happen only if the Broncos ever leave Swift Current. “We don’t quite frankly ever see that happening, but in the event it does, the citizens will realize a value from the Franchise which they’ve helped create. This is a win-win,” added Arling.

The Broncos will commit the first million dollars on approval of the expansion project. The second million dollars will be committed when it is determined the building meets the complete facilities standard as outlined by the WHL. “All of the interested parties have been asked to sacrifice in certain areas in order to move forward with the project. We have also made concessions, but have to keep in mind the strict facility standards that must be met in order to be a member of the WHL,” said Arling.

The two million dollars will be in the form of preferred share membership. As well, the City will have the right to appoint a Director to the Board of the Broncos.

For more information contact:

Joe Arling, Chairman of the Board, Swift Current Broncos 773-4660
    Brad Boutilier, PR/Game Day Operations, Swift Current Broncos 773-1509, Ext. 9

Good to hear. This is a great thing for all Broncos fans. Hopefully, it is the first of many good things to happen to the team this season.

Sounds like they made some cuts to the design, saving a million dollars, but increased the budget by 1.6, plus the ice plant which will bring the total up to 13.3 million. Also construction could start right away (Oct. 1) on the west end with a completion slated for next Christmas. This is great news for the city and the team, now we just need everyone to get going with season tickets.

Default Expansion

The cuts don't even look too serious. I've seen the new design, and it looks to me like most of the cuts are on the curling side of the building.

Instead of being a fancy exterior to the curling rink with a sloped roof, it's just a flat roof now with a box shaped building.

All in all though, good to see the project moving ahead. Too bad it had to take so long to begin with.
    A Broncos fan I was born, a Broncos fan I will die! GO BRONCOS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by 2,5,andagame
    This is great news for the city and the team, now we just need everyone to get going with season tickets.
    This is great news for the city and the team. The Broncos are an important part of the city and add a lot. We have to do everything we can to keep them here and this agreement is huge in doing that.
    Always Remembered

Default great news finally

Quote Originally Posted by Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
    The cuts don't even look too serious. I've seen the new design, and it looks to me like most of the cuts are on the curling side of the building.

Instead of being a fancy exterior to the curling rink with a sloped roof, it's just a flat roof now with a box shaped building.
    as a citizen who supports both sports I can now breath a bit more.
    As to the changes to the curling rink no big deal. The important part there, is to have good consistant ice, not a fancy building.

PS picked up my season ticket today.

Icon32

Hey its about time!!!! Man do i ever like the look of our future team. Great job Dean. Like one Poster said now lets get out & support this team.

Great news for all the Fans and the City.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

Its about time!!!

Anyways this is great news for the team and the city.