Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Name the team contest started by the Oilers

i like the name oil kings because it already was a team in edmonton but the junior oilers just had no thought at all out into it and i also like the flyers but my top pick would be the oil kings and the 3rd pick would be the mercury but that sounds to tacky

Iconwhl

I personally dislike it when an expansion team uses names/logos/colours from a previous team. That previous team is no more. Get over it and move on.

As much as they are trying to create unnatural ties to the past, they should be working more on creating a path into the future. Don't be looking back - look ahead.

We already have the Wheat KINGS, so having another team using KINGS in their name, be it Oil or River? KINGS... ~yuck~ Besides there is already other teams in different leagues using Kings

The Road Runners have a very long, storied past. From Pheonix, to Toronto, to Edmonton. Having the flightly bird in Edmonton again, I can see another quick departure. LOL

And calling a team "Junior ~insert name~" is not the way to go either. The team stands as a unit, not as a sub-team for its parental unit, espeically when it is not in a farm-team mentality. Having a farm team known as the Junior Flames, or Junior Leafs is one thing, but having a WHL team being so, No.

There are already current sport team (hockey) using Flyers and Capitals. No need for Edmonton to revisit that past either.

The Edmonton Energy? ich.

The Edmonton Metros? Are we talking mass transit, buses or a WHL hockey team?

The Edmonton Mercuries. As in the roman god? Don't know how fast he can run on ice. How would a logo of a character wearing winged shoes and a winged petasos, and carrying the caduceus, a herald's staff with two entwined snakes, look on a sheet of ice? ~snicker snicker~ or Good King Henry (Chenopodium bonus-henricus), also called mercury, lincolnshire spinach or poor man's asparagus is a species of goosefoot native to much of central and southern Europe. (I can just imagine what the logo and colors would be like) LOL

Edmonton FrostBite?

Also along the lines of winter (like the ICE before they moved). Having Jack Frost with a hockey stick as a logo, with icicles on the jersey. At least this one I can see happening, and being a fitting Major Junior Hockey Team logo/name.

This is a new entity. Please treat it as such.

actually i ment didnt like the name mercurry because it was tacky actually you know what??all those names givin kinda suck..i mean like all the names avalible these days are tacky crap come up with something original not super 80s crap

Default Another strike against Junior Oilers is the name was already used

Quote Originally Posted by The_Vulk
    I personally dislike it when an expansion team uses names/logos/colours from a previous team. That previous team is no more. Get over it and move on.

As much as they are trying to create unnatural ties to the past, they should be working more on creating a path into the future. Don't be looking back - look ahead.

We already have the Wheat KINGS, so having another team using KINGS in their name, be it Oil or River? KINGS... ~yuck~ Besides there is already other teams in different leagues using Kings

The Road Runners have a very long, storied past. From Pheonix, to Toronto, to Edmonton. Having the flightly bird in Edmonton again, I can see another quick departure. LOL

And calling a team "Junior ~insert name~" is not the way to go either. The team stands as a unit, not as a sub-team for its parental unit, espeically when it is not in a farm-team mentality. Having a farm team known as the Junior Flames, or Junior Leafs is one thing, but having a WHL team being so, No.

There are already current sport team (hockey) using Flyers and Capitals. No need for Edmonton to revisit that past either.

The Edmonton Energy? ich.

The Edmonton Metros? Are we talking mass transit, buses or a WHL hockey team?

The Edmonton Mercuries. As in the roman god? Don't know how fast he can run on ice. How would a logo of a character wearing winged shoes and a winged petasos, and carrying the caduceus, a herald's staff with two entwined snakes, look on a sheet of ice? ~snicker snicker~ or Good King Henry (Chenopodium bonus-henricus), also called mercury, lincolnshire spinach or poor man's asparagus is a species of goosefoot native to much of central and southern Europe. (I can just imagine what the logo and colors would be like) LOL

Edmonton FrostBite?

Also along the lines of winter (like the ICE before they moved). Having Jack Frost with a hockey stick as a logo, with icicles on the jersey. At least this one I can see happening, and being a fitting Major Junior Hockey Team logo/name.

This is a new entity. Please treat it as such.

It was Kamloops Blazers' original nickname when they moved from New Westminster up to Kamloops. The name lasted two seasons until Peter Pockington sold the Junior Oilers to the Kamloops citizens who now run the team. If Oil Kings is out because of it is in the past the Junior Oilers have the same problem plus it was in another city (Kamloops) all together.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Vulk
    Edmonton FrostBite?

There was a franchise in the UHL called the Adirondak Frostbite but the franchise has "gone dark." Their website used to be here http://www.frostbitehockey.com/ it still has the logo present.

I'm kinda partial to the Ice Runners

but Vulk makes a good point -- I've always liked it when a team chooses a completely new identity - although recycling names seems to be a tradition in and of itself in the dub... hmmm... re: The Chilliwack Bruins (NW Bruins) -

although I like the Bruins name for Chilliwack part of me was hoping they'd be more innovative and the logo they designed for the patch I'd like to see as their regular logo not some re-design of the Boston Bruins/NW Bruins logo.

Looking forward to the Chilliwack thirds which will probably have their arm patch logo as the main logo on a plain black jersey or something similar.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

here is a partial list of some names I came up with in about three minutes

Edmonton Speed
    edmonton Crunch
    edmonton steel
    edmonton rage
    edmonton west enders
    edmonton crush
    edmonton jets
    edmonton heat

lets make a list of some names for fun. Who cares if they are stupid just put'em down.
    Cranbrook's own, Kootenay ICE 1998 to 2012, 2011 WHL CHAMPIONS!!!
    THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP'S!!

haha good idea i got some

edmonton erioids,
    crunch is a good one,
    uhh you know what i cant think of more il comeback later lol

The more I think about it the more I like the Edmonton Mercuries.

Don't know why but it just seems to work well. I'd have to say that that is my favorite.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

I have to agree with Beaner on this one. After thinking about it for the last little bit the Edmonton Mercuries does kind of have a cool ring to it. Would it be spelled like Mercuries or Mercury's? :skeptical

I'm still partial to the Oil Kings (Bill Hunter and the nostalgia/history factor), but if that isn't the name chosen the Mercuries would be my choice.