Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Name the team contest started by the Oilers

ranul Guest

I thought it would be a name the team contest not vote for the team name contest
    I was expecting to be able to submit a name and a reason why .

Quote Originally Posted by ranul
    I thought it would be a name the team contest not vote for the team name contest
    I was expecting to be able to submit a name and a reason why .
    you could do this under the extra coments section of the voter form
    Cranbrook's own, Kootenay ICE 1998 to 2012, 2011 WHL CHAMPIONS!!!
    THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP'S!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Vulk
    I personally dislike it when an expansion team uses names/logos/colours from a previous team. That previous team is no more. Get over it and move on.

As much as they are trying to create unnatural ties to the past, they should be working more on creating a path into the future. Don't be looking back - look ahead.

We already have the Wheat KINGS, so having another team using KINGS in their name, be it Oil or River? KINGS... ~yuck~ Besides there is already other teams in different leagues using Kings

The Road Runners have a very long, storied past. From Pheonix, to Toronto, to Edmonton. Having the flightly bird in Edmonton again, I can see another quick departure. LOL

And calling a team "Junior ~insert name~" is not the way to go either. The team stands as a unit, not as a sub-team for its parental unit, espeically when it is not in a farm-team mentality. Having a farm team known as the Junior Flames, or Junior Leafs is one thing, but having a WHL team being so, No.

There are already current sport team (hockey) using Flyers and Capitals. No need for Edmonton to revisit that past either.

The Edmonton Energy? ich.

The Edmonton Metros? Are we talking mass transit, buses or a WHL hockey team?

The Edmonton Mercuries. As in the roman god? Don't know how fast he can run on ice. How would a logo of a character wearing winged shoes and a winged petasos, and carrying the caduceus, a herald's staff with two entwined snakes, look on a sheet of ice? ~snicker snicker~ or Good King Henry (Chenopodium bonus-henricus), also called mercury, lincolnshire spinach or poor man's asparagus is a species of goosefoot native to much of central and southern Europe. (I can just imagine what the logo and colors would be like) LOL

Edmonton FrostBite?

Also along the lines of winter (like the ICE before they moved). Having Jack Frost with a hockey stick as a logo, with icicles on the jersey. At least this one I can see happening, and being a fitting Major Junior Hockey Team logo/name.

This is a new entity. Please treat it as such.
    I agree. I have never been a fan of "upholding the tradition" for a new franchise, especially for a city that in the past typically doesn't hold a franchise in this league for very long. I agree that these team names aren't the greatest, but there have been worse. Stanford came close to being the trees. Can you imagine the Stanford Trees? Hahaha. Anyway, I think out of all of those I would be in favor of frostbite. Not great, but it is new and not a team name that is very common.

Edmonton Machines
    Edmonton Thirst
    Edmonton Punch
    Edmonton Shock
    Edmonton Rock
    Edmonton Oil Cannons
    Last edited by HAF; 09-17-2006 at 10:49 PM.

uhhh some of those arent very good, why not just go for the edmonton pickle jars or the edmonton washing machines these names people are coming up with arent very good we need something classic and not so...as ive said many many times, tacky, for example -lazers

Quote Originally Posted by GOBLADESGO#3
    uhhh some of those arent very good, why not just go for the edmonton pickle jars or the edmonton washing machines these names people are coming up with arent very good we need something classic and not so...as ive said many many times, tacky, for example -lazers
    Uuhhh.. how both the Edmonton GOBLADESGO'S. HAHAHA

by the way where are yor sugestions?? At least he added something other than criticism
    Cranbrook's own, Kootenay ICE 1998 to 2012, 2011 WHL CHAMPIONS!!!
    THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP'S!!

Lightbulb

actually i did make suggestions, the edmonton washign machines, lol im just saying edmonton machines arent very good, and i did make suggestions if you read back but i do liek the edmonton GOBLADESGOs lol nice thinking

Quote Originally Posted by The_Vulk
    This is a new entity. Please treat it as such.
    Unfortunately, this is Edmonton we are talking about. A city that when it comes to hockey has spent the last 15 years or so living in the past because the present hasnt offered a whole heckuva lot. I fully expect that the people will choose Oil Kings for this very reason.

yes that is the name that i would go with foresure i hope they choose that one

What about Edmonton Extreme or Edmonton Express?