Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Preseason Tourney

CHIEFS EDGE AMERICANS 6-5 IN RED LION TOURNEY

Kennewick, WA – Adam Hobson would score twice in a seven second span in the third period to break a 4-all tie and would lead the Spokane Chiefs to a 6-5 victory of the Tri-City Americans before 1,221 fans at Toyota Center .

The Americans opened the scoring just 35 seconds into the tilt when Drew Hoff’s first of two goals on the night kissed off of goaltender Thomas Stehr’s glove and dropped in the net to give the Ams a 1-0 lead. Spokane responded quickly at 1:40 and would knot the score at 1 on a Levko Koper goal. The Chiefs would take a 2-1 lead after 20 minutes when Derek Ryan would score on a scramble at 19:20.

The Chiefs would open up a 3-1 lead at 11:06 of the second when Derek Ryan would beat Chet Pickars with a snap shot. Tri-City would close within one on a Tanner Gillies power play goal at 15:45. Spokane would reply quickly to take a 4-2 lead on a Chris Langkow goal at 17:00. The Americans would close within one as Brock Cornish would rip a blast from the point past Spokane goaltender Kevin Armstrong to make it a 4-3 deficit.

In the third the Americans would tie the game at 4-all on an unassisted shorthanded goal by Drew Hoff, his second of the game at 3:54. That would set the table for Hobson’s heroics scoring twice seven seconds apart at 10:05 and again at 10:12. Cornish would finish the scoring for the Americans with his second power play goal of the night.

Spokane out shot the Americans 42-26 on the night.

Spokane is now 4-1 in pre-season play and is idle until next Friday night when the Americans travel to play the Chiefs in the Lilac City at Eagles Ice Arena.

TC -- Hoff (Butterfield)1st -- 0:36SPO -- Koper (Wahl)1st -- 1:40SPO -- Ryan (Haw, Blackwater)1st -- 19:40SPO -- Ryan (Bryce, Reddington)2nd -- 11:06TC PP Gillies (Mestery)2nd -- 15:43SPO -- Langkow (Bruton)2nd -- 17:00TC PP Cornish (Gillies)2nd -- 19:38TC SH Hoff3rd -- 3:45SPO -- Hobson (Ryan)3rd -- 10:05SPO -- Hobson3rd -- 10:12TC PP Cornish (Broda, Toll)3rd -- 19:55
    Last edited by HAF; 09-10-2006 at 01:14 AM.

Default : Americans shutout 'Tips 5-0 to end Red Lion Tournament

Pre-Season Tournament: Americans shutout 'Tips 5-0 to end Red Lion Tournament
    September 10, 2006KENNEWICK, WA - Goaltender Chet Pickard stopped all 20 shots and Tyler Schmidt scored two goals as the Tri-City Americans shutout the Everett Silvertips 5-0 before 794 fans at Toyota Center tonight in the final game of the Red Lion Hotels Pre-Season Tournament in Kennewick.

The Americans got off to a quick start scoring three power play goals in the first by Schmidt, Chris Inglis and Joel Broda to take a 3-0 lead after 20 minutes.

Tri-City would seal the deal with two second period goals by Schmidt and Kyle Peters.

Broda would enjoy a three point night with a goal and two assists while rookie Brock Cornish added two assists.

The Americans (1-1-0-1) are idle until next weekend when they travel to Spokane next Friday night to play the Chiefs at Eagles Ice Arena at 7 pm. The weekend will continue when the Chiefs play the Americans next Saturday night, 7:05 pm at Toyota Center. The Americans also have added an additional pre-season contest for next Sunday, September 17th at 3:05 pm against the Portland Winter Hawks at Toyota Center. Tickets for that game will go on sale Tuesday at 9 am at the Toyota Center box office and all Tickets west outlets including Red Lion Hotels.

Americans single game tickets for all 36 regular season home games go on sale tomorrow morning at 9 am at the Toyota Center box office and all Tickets West outlets. Call 1.800.325.SEAT.

The Americans home opener is Saturday, September 30th against the archrival Spokane Chiefs at 7:05 pm.

I thought the Ams had a pretty good weekend. They improved every game and played hard. We are a little quicker than I would have thought. I think some veterans had better tighten up their laces a little bit, the rookies are opening some eyes, in my opinion.

Below is a link to the TC Herald recap of the game. I think Constantine might have been a little upset with the effort last night. He made them wear their uniforms and gear to dinner, then boarded the bus without taking showers for the 4-hour, more like 4 1/2 hour, busride home.

Don't even get me started on the chipstrap call against Portland the day before. I'll try to find the quote from the paper and post it.

http://www.sportstricities.com/sport...-8074654c.html

Here's the blurb from the paper, below is the game recap link for the Spokane game.

-- Everett 5, Portland 4 (SO)

Brennan Sonne scored in the sixth round of the shootout to give Everett a win over Portland.

Portland's Stefan Langwieder appeared to have scored the game-winner in the fifth round, but officials disallowed his goal because his chin strap was not fastened. :skeptical

The goal was actually, if I remember the game right, was in the 2nd round, because I remember Hamill shooting the next round for Everett. The officials discussed it for about 5 minutes on the ice. Weren't too many pleased attendee's after that call, and not just Portland fans. Spokane, Seattle, and TC fans were in the mix as well. I didn't even know there was the rule that the strap had to be fastened. Learn something knew everyday.

http://www.sportstricities.com/sport...-8071123c.html