Thread: 1st ice breaker game score

Default 1st ice breaker game score

prince george cougars 4 - regina pats 1 final.

no summary

Thanks wango tango. Anyone else at the game that could give a summary? Fights, goals how the goalies looked? Anything else?
    I understand this is a rebuilding year, but come on boys!!

Home
    www.princegeorgecitizen.com

Saturday, September 9, 2006

Rai leads Cats past the Pats

by CORY WOLFE, Special to The Citizen

SASKATOON — The Prince George Cougars weren’t exactly on their best behaviour Friday, but the Regina Pats failed to make them pay.

The Pats converted only one of five two-man advantages and ultimately lost 4-1 in WHL exhibition action at Credit Union Centre.

“If we’re talking in December, there’s a little concern,” said Regina coach Curtis Hunt, whose power play finished 1-for-14 overall. “We’ve probably spent exactly 18 minutes on our 5-on-3 power play. In fairness to the guys, I thought they did a pretty good job of getting the puck into the zone and at least attempting to set up how we want it.”

Defenceman Colten Teubert scored Regina’s only goal midway through the first period after Prince George skaters Trevor Bauer and Dan Gendur were penalized at the same stoppage for stick fouls.

The Cougars’ power play wasn’t particularly dangerous, either, delivering just one goal on 12 opportunities. However, sop****re Prab Rai’s two-goal performance smacked of veteran savvy even though he won’t celebrate his 17th birthday until November.

“I’ll be a guy that we need secondary scoring from,” said Rai, who netted five goals in 38 games as a rookie. “I take on a bigger role this year, but everyone does after their rookie season.”

Cougars head coach Mike Vandekamp classed Rai as one of his team’s best players in the game.

“Prab played well,” Vandekamp said. “He had a little jump in his step. Obviously he can score — we knew that. Today was a good confidence booster for him. You hope to see guys that can score, score a little bit in exhibition because I think sometimes that’s just the trigger they need to get off to a good start in the regular season.”

Jared Walker and Lance Redden (empty-netter) also scored for the Cougars who led 2-1 and 3-1 at the intermissions. Regina starter Ryan Nieszner was tagged with three goals against before being relieved by Jeff Bosch midway through the second.

Veteran keeper Scott Bowles played the full game for the Cougars.

“He was awfully steady,” Vandekamp said. “I don’t believe we had a shot-count at the end but he saw a bit of rubber and he played pretty well.”

One sour note for the Cougars was an injury to forward Greg Gardner, who was hurt while killing a penalty in the third period.

“He dropped and blocked a shot and took it just kind of above the knee, kind of in between the pants and the shin pads,” Vandekamp said. “Those hurt. I don’t think it will be a serious injury but it’s one of those bruises that may take a little time to heal.”

The WHL’s newly adopted policy of zero tolerance for clutching and grabbing was on full display. Referee Derek Zalaski awarded a total of 26 power-play opportunities.

“I think it’s fine,” said Hunt. “I’m one of the 26 million hockey fans in Canada that thought the (NHL) playoffs were fantastic. It’s our mandate now to get to the point where we spend that time on the power play. That’s our whole focus in this tournament.”

The Cougars are back on the ice today for a game against the host Blades. On Sunday, the Cats will skate against the Prince Albert Raiders. Real Cyr will start in net today, while Jordan White will get the call on Sunday.