Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach C sends Stern Message

Default Coach C sends Stern Message

Constantine sends stern message after ugly loss to Tri-City

By Nick Patterson
    Herald Writer

EVERETT - A schizophrenic weekend for the Everett Silvertips concluded with a pointed message sent by the coaching staff.

Following an ugly 5-0 loss to Tri-City on Sunday night at the Tri-City Preseason Tournament, Everett coach Kevin Constantine had his team remain in its gear for both the post-game meal and the four-hour bus ride home from Kennewick.

"We just had them take off their skates and get on the bus," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said. "We were frustrated after the game and wanted to get out of town."

Playing without several key players because of either NHL training camp invitations or injuries, Everett went 1-1 at the tournament.

Everett beat Portland 5-4 in a shootout on Saturday with Brandon Campos, Cody Thoring, Zach Hamill and Jonathan Harty scoring goals. The Silvertips outshot the Winter Hawks 42-18 and led 4-2 late before Portland scored two late goals to force Everett to eventually win it in the shootout.

But Sunday's lackluster effort was a disaster. Tri-City goaltender Chet Pickard had to make just 20 saves for the shutout as Everett fell to 2-3 in the preseason.

"I thought we were OK against Portland," Constantine said. "I think we were a little better against Portland than the score, Portland was acceptable. I thought the next night kind of left a bad taste in our mouths. Sunday was not acceptable for the organization. Yes there's details and systems and line combinations that everyone has to work out, but to have no emotion or passion is not something that's easy to swallow. We were real disappointed."

As a result of Sunday's performance, the coaches decided they needed to take drastic measures to get their point across.

"I think the message to the players was that it's got to be better than that," Constantine said. "You have to at least show up and have some passion and interest in playing."

Everett has one exhibition game remaining - Saturday against Seattle at Kent View Ice Centre - before opening the season Sept. 23 at Chilliwack. In the wake of Everett's cuts Monday, the focus of the work will shift from individual evaluations to team preparations.

"We've probably been about 70 percent evaluating players and 30 percent working on team issues," Constantine said. "I think there will be a flip flop, with 70 percent going toward how we play as a team and 30 percent still in evaluating players. We still have one or two more cuts we need to make, but we have to know who should be our power-play and penalty-kill guys."

On the health front, center Zack Dailey, who sat out all of training camp and Everett's three previous exhibition games recovering from wrist surgery, played at Tri-City. Also, center Kyle Beach, who's missed all of preseason with a shoulder injury, is scheduled to resume full practices this week.

Constantine shows his class and shiny personality yet again I see. Theres no doubt that KC can develop young talent but this is a little uncalled for in my opinion.

God that bus must've stunk bad!

Yeah, seems a little harsh to be lowering the boom already, on a rookie-laden lineup during the exhibition season. You are right CB, bet that bus smelled like the inside of a hockey glove.

This just in - "Bus cleaning crew found unconscious during routine clean-up. Police find strange odor embedded in the cloth of the seats."

What the heck did the bus driver do to deserve that?

Post game meal as well, feel sorry for whatever restaurant they stopped at.

I hope they were allowed to at least take off their jerseys to spare uteer and total embarasment. Not to mention for the fans in Everett, dont want to be the laughing stock team of the league for antics like this.
    Cranbrook's own, Kootenay ICE 1998 to 2012, 2011 WHL CHAMPIONS!!!
    THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP'S!!

I haven't heard of stuff like this for years, I can't remember exact details but I have heard stories.

If I'm not mistaken Bill Laforge (way back) did domething similar when he coached the Kamloops Jr. Oilers... but I could be wrong.

If I remember correctly a few seasons ago in Regina (less than 10 years ago) made the kids run stairs in full equipment (no skates), but no 4 hour bus rides or post game meal in full smelly equipment.

I hope Everett's bus driver was equipped with appropriate smell stopping gear (gas mask), I also hope he was given "hazard" pay due to the toxic fumes

With the way the article in the paper made the driver sound, he would have been laughing at it all night...
    I take pride in not owning a cowbell!

Looks like the league is none too happy about this incident.

from, http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...593_whl14.html

Silvertips under investigation

Western Hockey League commissioner Ron Robison said Wednesday his investigation regarding an incident involving the Everett Silvertips has concluded and a decision will be announced today.

Following Everett's 5-0 loss to the Tri-City Americans on Sunday, Everett coach Kevin Constantine had his team eat and ride home on the bus from Kennewick to Everett while still wearing their hockey pads. Even players who did not dress for the game suited up for the ride home.

Robison said the league is treating it as a "very serious" incident and that it would be "dealt with accordingly."

"We expect to announce a decision tomorrow," Robison said from Calgary.

"We've reviewed what happened and talked to Kevin and [general manager] Doug Soetaert."

Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company
    We shall see what happens now.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF