Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coach C sends Stern Message

What I'd like to see is, next time the coach pulls the goalie and they get scored on, make him put on dirty players gear for 4+ hours

Naw all kidding aside, I think the punishment maybe a little too harsh, but I feel the league had to do something about it.

Sitting around in wet, slowly drying equipment, you could get rashes, infections, plus eating in equipment is pretty unsanitary.

The league probably looked at it and said, what if a kid got a really bad infection, or became sick or hospitalized. (unlikely to happen, but possible)

How good would it look upon the whl, and for future players who are deciding which hockey route to follow.

The WHL is most likely just trying to send a message that this kind of unsanitary punishment, will not be tolerated at the whl level.

I may not neccesarily agree with the ruling, but I'm trying to look at it from the other side of the coin.
    Last edited by Tiger Trauma; 09-15-2006 at 01:35 AM.
    MEDICINE HAT TIGERS
    http://tigerturf.blogspot.com/

I think for that kind of punishment to be handed down, there must be more to the story than anyone outside of KC and the players know about. Its unfortunate too, because I can't imagine the effect that your coach being punished for (though somewhat misguided) motivating you will have on the dressing room.

in my opinion what KC should have done is take a page from the old terry simpson book. and let em shower eat etc.... but stop the bus 10-15 miles out of town and make them walk or jog etc... the rest of the way in and think about their effort. more sanitary, physical work will remind them what effort is. i dont agree with what he did exactly. but i agree that at times coaches need to embarass the team as a whole. even though im 22 years old i still consider myself an old school guy,

Iconwhl

It was stupid on his part, we dont know what else went on as well?

DawnC Guest

Default Interesting thought

Wonder if it the reason behind such a stiff fine and suspension could be due to the possible negative affect this may have on any future WHL recruiting? I know that colleges are always trying to find new ways to "lure" players to go the college route, and I can imagine a few will use this as a "see how you are treated in the WHL" lesson. Maybe that will be enough to sway those still undecided where they want to play?

I'm in no way saying that I agree with the punishment. I figured he would be fined $500 or so and "officially reprimanded"...but not this! I think this is a little overboard.

I think the punishment was in line. The guy pushes his players hard and theres a line you have to draw. I personally feel this is the line because when it comes down to it, the whl, the chl and every junior league for that matter the development of the players comes first. Winning should always take second place in these leagues. Lets groom these kids to be excellent players, and I know Constantine is trying to do that, but this whole thing crossed the line.
    Lets go Chiefs.

Constantine's fine suspension made headlines on TSN's website... WHL suspends Constantine for four games

The same story (both Canadian Press) on Sportsnet... WHL coach fined for punishing team

Default Can Constantine appeal the fine/suspension?

Appeals never seem to happen in the WHL.

To me, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. However, *if* one of the players had gotten brutally sick as a result of his actions, many people would be saying that a four-game suspension wouldn't be enough.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
    Redwic

In regards to the appeal... check the 2nd last paragraph, I doubt there will be one.
    "We have a culture here that's really demanding, but just as equally fair and caring," Constantine told the Herald. "But in reflecting and talking with the league, I tend to lean toward our reaction being a little inappropriate after the game. So they made a decision and we're fine with that."

Default Just a thought

If losing an exhibition game 5-0 means a bus ride in game worn uniforms, what will a three or four game losing streak in regular season result in?