Thread: Americans Release Butterfield

Default Americans Release Butterfield

from, http://www.amshockey.com/news/article.src?ID=1870

Tri-City Americans News

Americans Release Butterfield
    October 12, 2006

Craig West Tri-City Americans

KENNEWICK, WA - The Tri-City Americans today have released 20-year-old defenseman Cole Butterfield. The club was forced to make the move to reach the league mandated three 20-year-old player limit as of 11 am.

The native of Ponoka, Alberta played in five games this year with the Americans and had no points and was a plus four.

The Americans return to action this Saturday, October 14th against the Chilliwack Bruins at 7:05 pm in the Toyota Center. All the fun is presented by Clear Channel Radio and KVEW 42 Great seats remain for the game. Tickets are available in advance at Toyota Center box office and all Tickets West outlets including Red Lion Hotels. For tickets call 1.800.325.SEAT. Airtime for the Budweiser Warm-Up Show is 6:45 pm on News Talk 870 KFLD.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

I pretty much seen this coming. I was probably one of the biggest Butterfield nay sayers during the pre season. He showed me nothing last year and his effort at camp and during the preseason was below lackluster. However............ The pressure has been on this kids shoulders so far during the regular season as he knew he was probably on his way out. He showed up big in every game he dressed, was one of the most noticable D-men on the ice and was very responsible defensively. He sported a +4, second only to Matt Swaby (+6) and really appeared to have adjusted to the new enforcement of the obstruction calls better then any other D-man. I really question whether Cole would have kept up his momentum if securing an overage spot or get complacent and go back to his lack luster work ethic on the ice. He's never been one to play the body a whole lot and really lacks the physical presence that I think was expected of a 6'4" 220 lb defensemen.
    I think Bob made the right decision in keeping Scurko, Aldred and Boogaard. All three have developed their roles and will be a huge part of the teams success this year.