Thread: Cougar Draft pick Goes to NCAA

Default Cougar Draft pick Goes to NCAA

from the PG Free Press:

The Western hockey League took another blow after a second first- round draft pick from 2003 decided to take the NCAA route. This time the Prince George Cougars will feel the effect, as sixth overall draft pick Tyler Swystun has verbally agreed to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor for the 2005-06 season.
    Tri-City Americans first overall pick Jonathan Toews had previously committed to the University of North Dakota in Grande Forks.
    Swystun, who turned 17 lost month didn't attend the Cougars training camp this past season because he had wanted to complete his Grade 12 before making any decisions about his future.
    "I was on the fence since the start of the season. I know coming down to Camrose we'd heard stuff about me possibly going NCAA. I know I wanted to finish my grade 12 here in Alberta and get it down somewhere near home. I came down here and got some interest from some NCAA schools. I decided to fly down to Michigan and decided to go there," said Swystun. This season as a rookie with the Camrose Kodiaks Swystun has 12 goals 16 assists in 42 games.
    Swystun visited the campus in December and had a chance to watch the Wolverines play a Friday night game and saw the Battle of Michigan on Saturday with the Wolverines football team taking on Michigan State University in front of 107,000 fans.
    "It was just before Christmas break. The fans are really supportive of their hockey and football teams," said Swystun.
    "I think the WHL has developed a lot of good players. I'm not saying if you go there your not going to develop. Just for me, what fitted me the best was just going the college route. I thought long and hard about coming to Prince George and I went down to the University of Michigan and it felt like they really wanted me. I knew it would be a good home for me."

I'D bet 20 bucks if he was drafted by the Rebels he would be jumping at the chance to play for Sutter.

That too bad for the Coug fans, maybe they can talk him out of going to Michigan?
    KELOWNA ROCKETS 2004 MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS!

http://cropcircle.ca/forums/index.php

Default I highly doubt it

As much as I'd like to see a guy like Tyler here, there is something in the air up here that keeps players away. Be it ownership, management or who knows, maybe the new coaches, it would seem there is a black cloud over PG that has good hockey players not wanting to come here. I know everyone wants to play for a contender, but how do you think a team gets to be a contender if good players won't go there? I don't see it as a coaching problem myself. I see it as unmotivated players most nights. This current team has beat top teams in this league, but refuses to do it consistantly. maybe part of the problem lies in geography. When you look at a team like Red Deer, or even anyone in the East, your road trips are usually within 4 hours on the bus. For any team here your on the bus for 8-9 hours for your closest road game. Home at home series just aren't going to happen, and playing back to back every weekend makes it hard to keep consistantcy. No easy answers to a lot of hard questions. I can't see Edmonton or Grande Prairie, or anywhere else north of Kamloops having it any easier. Victoria was just imposible because of dealing with BC Ferries, so that option isn't viable at all. All in all, management here has a huge job of recruitment here, and so far hasn't lured that gem here to play.
    I understand this is a rebuilding year, but come on boys!!

The bus is just brutal for the Cougs, I can see Edmonton being a possible high choice for the next team or relocation. I would think if a prospect doesn't want to play in PG he could ask for a trade.
    KELOWNA ROCKETS 2004 MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS!

http://cropcircle.ca/forums/index.php