Thread: Game 9 - Chilliwack

Default Game 9 - Chilliwack

Silvertips rout Bruins
    Everett matches franchise record for goals in a game as the Tips beats Chilliwack 8-0

By Nick Patterson
    Herald Writer

EVERETT - So far this season the results have been there for the Everett Silvertips. What's been missing is the killer instinct.

That changed Sunday night.

For the first time this season, Everett brought the hammer down after grabbing an early lead, and the Silvertips routed the expansion Chilliwack Bruins 8-0 at the Everett Events Center.

Seven different Silvertips scored, led by a pair from Zach Hamill, as Everett matched the largest single-game goal total in franchise history. The Tips also scored eight in a game last season against Tri-City.

"It feels good to finally follow through for 60 minutes," said Everett captain Cody Thoring, who registered a goal and an assist. "We haven't done that, so it felt good."

Brady Calla added a goal and two assists as Everett (7-1-0-1) proved an inhospitable host to the Western Hockey League's newest team. Lukas Vartovnik, Moises Gutierrez, Peter Mueller and Jesse Smyke also scored for the Tips, who didn't appear fatigued at all from playing their third game in three nights.

"We've had stretches where we find ways to relax instead of finding ways to keep pressure on people," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said of his team's inability to put teams away. "Tonight's the first night I thought we didn't let up based on the score, we just kept playing hard."

Everett goalie Leland Irving was little more than a spectator in earning his third shutout in eight starts. He was called upon to make just 14 saves.

A shell-shocked Alex Archibald, who was a brick wall when the Tips squeezed past the Bruins 2-1 in their season opener at Chilliwack on Sept. 23, finished with 30 saves.

"No question, we got taken to school tonight," Chilliwack coach Jim Hiller said. "The penalties we took out of the gate got Everett going, got us on our heels and it never changed the rest of the night."

Everett has been trying to find its top gear since the season began. That's in stark contrast to the Vancouver Giants, who are considered Everett's main competition for Western Conference supremacy. The Giants won their first 10 games, blowing through the competition in the process, and the Silvertips were expected to do the same. But Sunday was the first time Everett looked the part.

"If you look at a team like the Giants, they're winning games like that a lot," Hamill said. "That's kind of the measuring stick right now."

Chilliwack has faced both Everett and Vancouver twice. Based on what he saw Sunday, Hiller said the teams are similar in ability.

"They're two great teams, certainly the two elite teams we've seen so far in this young season," he said. "I'm sure they're going to have a lot of battles before this one's over."

Everett was all over Chilliwack in the first period, out-shooting the Bruins 14-1 and emerging with a 3-0 lead. Vartovnik opened the scoring on the power play at 7:06 by hacking a loose puck past Archibald. The second came at 10:30 also on the power play as Hamill was set up by a nice feed from Kyle Beach. The third was at 15:56 on Thoring's one-timer from the point.

Everett made sure the third period was academic with two more goals in the second. First, at 13:27, Gutierrez tipped in Mueller's shot from the point. Then at 16:07 the Tips broke three-on-none, with Beach making a nice move to set up Mueller.

Hamill scored his second goal of the game at 4:54 of the third period after good work by Calla. Calla scored at 17:43 after Eric Doyle took the puck the length of the ice before throwing the puck out front. Smyke completed the scoring with 42.5 seconds remaining with a one-timer from the left circle.

Slap shots: Hamill's goals mean he's scored a point in each of Everett's first nine games, the longest point streak in the WHL this season. ... Everett defenseman Graham Potuer was back in the lineup after being rested during Saturday's 3-2 victory over Portland. He took Tyler Hlookoff's spot in the lineup. ... Chilliwack was without its full complement of five overagers as utilityman Chad Scharff, who the Bruins acquired in the cutdown draft, has yet to report.

Silvertips 8, Bruins 0

Chilliwack 0 0 0 - 0

Everett 3 2 3 - 8

First Period-1, Everett, Vartovnik 3 (Thoring, Dailey), 7:06 (pp). 2, Everett, Hamill 4 (Beach), 10:30 (pp). 3, Everett, Thoring 2 (Dailey), 15:56. Penalties-Beach, Everett (checking from behind), 0:30; Santorelli, Chilliwack (holding), 2:57; Santorelli, Chilliwack (elbowing), 5:33; Lineker, Chilliwack (roughing), 7:19; Meropoulis, Chilliwack (hooking), 9:20; Stoesz, Chilliwack (roughing), 10:50; Ellington, Everett (roughing), 10:50; Maetche, Chilliwack (hooking), 17:57.

Second Period-4, Everett, Gutierrez 3 (Mueller, Potuer), 13:27. 5, Everett, Mueller 3 (Beach, Gutierrez), 16:07. Penalties-Gutierrez, Everett (elbowing), 6:27; Lenoski, Chilliwack (interference), 7:49; Sonne, Everett (slashing), 8:03; Smuk, Chilliwack (roughing), 17:46; Harty, Everett (unsportsmanlike conduct), 17:46; Chapman, Chilliwack (holding-unsportsmanlike conduct), 18:35.

Third Period-6, Everett, Hamill 5 (Calla, Vartovnik), 4:54. 7, Everett, Calla 2 (Doyle), 17:43. 8, Everett, Smyke 3 (Calla, Harty), 19:17 (pp). Penalties-Thoring, Everett (hooking), 5:27; Kulhanek, Chilliwack (roughing), 10:46; Glennie, Chilliwack (roughing), 15:03; Thoring, Everett (elbowing-unsportsmanlike conduct), 15:03; Aspenlind, Chilliwack (hooking), 17:22; Bhungal, Chilliwack (fighting), 17:44; Sonne, Everett (fighting), 17:44; Glennie, Chilliwack (roughing-fighting), 18:08; Alic, Everett (fighting), 18:08.

Shots on goal-Chilliwack 1-9-4-14. Everett 14-12-12-38. Power-play opportunities-Chilliwack 0of 5. Everett 4 of 10.

Goalies-Chilliwack, Archibald 1-7-1-0 (38 shots, 30 saves). Everett, Irving 6-1-0-1 (14 shots, 14 saves).

A-4,545.

Nice to see them play the whole 60 and not sit on a lead. Maybe they will remember this for when they go up 2 goals and play defense for 2 periods. It was a very exciting game and I have not seen that person whine about the SOG. Lets go against TC, I know I am gonna be running around in my gear for that game. I pity those around me, its gonna smell nice and fresh...
    I take pride in not owning a cowbell!