Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Police investigating Saginaw Spirit players

rinkrat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by D87
    By the age of 25 1 out of 3 Saskatchewan women is sexually assaulted.
    No offense,but is there a link to this statistic?Thanks

D87 Guest

It's from a study done by the University of Saskatchewan and Regina - keep in mind, sexual assault does not equal rape, it was made available on campus.

Not sure if I can find a link to it, I'll try.

D

Wow. Just... wow.

What's going on in this thread is EXACTLY why rape victims don't come forward. By the age of 25 1 out of 3 Saskatchewan women is sexually assaulted. Less than 25% ever press charges. I don't have statistics for the rest of Canada, but I would assume that the numbers are similar.

The fact that the first thing people are assuming is that this girl lied, and that girls her age lack morals and dress inappropriately sickens me.

She is a child. Regardless of how mature her body may or may not be, she is still a child.

Assume that all involved are innocent, and that the girl has over zealous parents if you'd like, but to blame the victim, is, in my mind horrendous and disgusting.

D
    I never claimed that she herself was lying or was a "slut". It was a general comment about the way girls of that age are becoming these days. And you can't tell me its not the truth.

It's true.

Girls these days look and TRY to act much older than they are.

D87 Guest

Carebear - your immediate response was to make assumptions about the victim. You didn't say ANYTHING about the fact that sexual assault by boys in the CHL is well documented, just read "Crossing the Line: Violence and Sexual Assault in Canada's National Sport" by Laura Robinson.

Does that mean that I think all boys in the CHL act that way? No. I know a lot of almost complete gentleman who have played in the CHL (most are either done hockey or playing pro somewhere)

Futhermore, while I was unable to find a link to the survey I brought up previously, I was able to find this:

51% of all Canadian women have experienced at least one incident of sexual or physical violence. Close to 60% of these women have survived more than one incident of violence. (Statistics Canada, 1993, "Violence Against Women Survey", The Daily, 18 November, p. 1, 3)

That was a one time survey, however, most women's organizations believe that because of public perception and fear of persecution, women continue not to report violent crimes, particularily when someone in a position of power or authority is involved.

In many smaller communities, the CHL player is treated as a demi-God, and the fact that people are questioning the actions of the victim (how she was or was not dressed, how she does or does not act) before questioning the actions of the accused (what on earth are they doing in a house with a 15-year old girl? Or any underage girl for that matter?) is disgusting and degrating.

D

rinkrat Guest

51% of all Canadian women have experienced at least one incident of sexual or physical violence. Close to 60% of these women have survived more than one incident of violence. (Statistics Canada, 1993, "Violence Against Women Survey", The Daily, 18 November, p. 1, 3)

D
    99.9% of Canadian PEOPLE have experienced at least one incident of sexual or physical violence.
    Some while playing hockey.

D87 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rinkrat
    99.9% of Canadian PEOPLE have experienced at least one incident of sexual or physical violence.
    Some while playing hockey.
    Ahh, so now we trivialize sexual assault and the damage that it does to women. Great. What's next? Name calling?

D

rinkrat Guest

Ahh, so now we trivialize sexual assault and the damage that it does to women.
    D
    Violence and sexual assault are serious crimes! Not trying to trivialize anything.Just throwing out statistics like you are.
    Sheldon Kennedy is a male.These crimes affect both genders.

D87 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rinkrat
    Violence and sexual assault are serious crimes! Not trying to trivialize anything.Just throwing out statistics like you are.
    Sheldon Kennedy is a male.These crimes affect both genders.
    My stats come from a survey done by Statistics Canada, and are therefore far more accurate then what you threw out.

The book I mentioned in my post, "Crossing the Line" deals with all acts of sexual assault and violence done in Junior hockey - both by players and TO players, such as Sheldon Kennedy. It mentions other incidents, in the OHL, where violence and molestation were comitted against players (I don't remember reading much about the Q, but that could be due to the author being an Anglophone).

It's very enlightening, and it opened my eyes in a lot of ways.

D

In many smaller communities, the CHL player is treated as a demi-God, and the fact that people are questioning the actions of the victim (how she was or was not dressed, how she does or does not act) before questioning the actions of the accused (what on earth are they doing in a house with a 15-year old girl? Or any underage girl for that matter?) is disgusting and degrating.

D

What were they doing in a house with a 15 year old girl? Hanging out? I dunno.

You say that like it was wrong for them to even be there. They're teenage guys and she's a teenage girl. When I was 14 my boyfriend was 18. I don't see how it was "wrong" for him and his friends to come over and hang out.