Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are the Pats missing Deck???

Iconwhl Are the Pats missing Deck???

Personally id say NO, Deck just makes out defence look confused i have been saying this for the past 2 yrs hes a good skater, who has a good shot but he only uses 1 of his skills and thats his skating ability, hes a wimp in the corners, rarely makes the 1st pass out of the zone....

I say trade Deck if he has any value at all give the "c" to hometown boy Ross for the rest of the year and get a 20 yr old who can actually score, control the play...

Delahey (i think i spelt it right lol) and Tuebert have been playing well, Pyett has emeraged into our #1 Defenceman hands down pretty well plays the whole 2 min PP and has been really carrying the puck up ice great in this early season its been awhile since the Pats had a guy like that by skating the puck up ice.... Schira and N.Ross have been steady (even when N.Ross was playing bad was still better then Deck)

anyone else feel close to what i feel about Deck and the Pats Dmen??

Default I say give him more time.

Kyle has had a slow start, and yeah, I do agree with you when you say he hasnt really mixed well with the defence so far. I think he should stay at least to the deadline, so he could possibly get out of his slump, and prove he belongs in the lineup. He is a great offensive defenceman, and a great leader for the pats defence. Ironically, despite being big, and a top line defenceman, he could work on being more physical, and defensive.(Now I know why they tried him on forward.)

Im sure we can find a place for Kyle in the lineup, but if not, we could always trade him at the deadline for something that we might need at that time.

We are fine in goal, no point in moving those 2 around. Defence is looking good, but we could always find something to improve it (example: Defensive d-man that isnt Reinhart). On offence, we still need a go to guy. The ever elusive Kalus replacement.

Im thinking(hypothetically) that we could call up our friends the silver tips and see if we could acquire a forward (Calla maybe) for Deck and maybe a pick(if needed). Im not sure if thats fair, but just a guess.

or maybe we could steal ourselves the 20 year old european from Tri Cities(scurko) in exchange for deck instead.

Just thinking of possibilities...

how about a buy one (deck) get one free (reinhart)??

seriously now though, i do agree, with Deck out these past few games it hasn't contributed to any major downfalls in our game...

As of late Pyett and N.Ross have been doing respectively well. I've never had to complain about Schira either...although i wish he'd bring back the physical aspect of his game, him and N.Ross used to be able to hipcheck the hell out of opponents and lately its only been Ross who's been able to make them fly (btw: any of you who didn't make it up to MJ on the weekend, Ross's hit on McArdle was a beauty )

essentially our D-men have shown they are quite capable of holding their own without a 20yr old vet in the lineup...good for us, bad for Deck. As mentioned in another thread it seems unfair to make judgements about a team or player this early into the season...personally i'd give the kid alittle more time to allow him to adjust his play to our tempo (he just isn't an intense player like he used to be) but on the other hand if the club was able to obtain someone with the ability to assist with the offensive aspect of our game, that deal should be done, hands down no questions asked

either way its a tough decision, which thankfully is out of our hands...we just gotta sit back and see how it all plays out
    Last edited by patsfan33; 10-19-2006 at 12:48 AM.

I saw this thread title and thought "this is stupid," I'm sorry to say that I think you guys are way off base here. Deck has played 7 games this year... How can you judge him? One player DOES NOT make a team! Geez.

I'm not even going to get into it here. I may have my opinions but I'm not going to share them on here... Think people... Lots of players and their parents read this site... How do you think they feel reading this stuff?

I know I have posted some not so positive comments about players but I try to keep things on the positive.

That's it from me.
    Last edited by nivek_wahs; 10-19-2006 at 04:31 AM.

Angry This thread kind of bothered me... So here is my defence of Deck

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114
    I say trade Deck if he has any value at all give the "c" to hometown boy Ross for the rest of the year and get a 20 yr old who can actually score, control the play...
    What are you talking about? He's the teams captain! He had 42 points last year (2nd only to Pyett on D). The dude has been here for the last 4+ years and has given his heart and soul to the team and now that he has struggled a bit you are calling for his removal? C'mon... the whole defence wasn't playing very well early on and Deck gets the blame. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogent_Jerk
    Kyle has had a slow start, and yeah, I do agree with you when you say he hasnt really mixed well with the defence so far. I think he should stay at least to the deadline, so he could possibly get out of his slump, and prove he belongs in the lineup. He is a great offensive defenceman, and a great leader for the pats defence. Ironically, despite being big, and a top line defenceman, he could work on being more physical, and defensive.(Now I know why they tried him on forward.)
    I think he has proven that he belongs... he is the captain... I think that means something... correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogent_Jerk
    Im sure we can find a place for Kyle in the lineup, but if not, we could always trade him at the deadline for something that we might need at that time.
    Find a place? Deck and Pyett were the Pats top scoring d-man pair last year. They each played nearly 30 minutes a game. He's easily a top 4 defenceman on the Pats. Top PP unit with Pyett.

Quote Originally Posted by patsfan33
    essentially our D-men have shown they are quite capable of holding their own without a 20yr old vet in the lineup...good for us, bad for Deck. As mentioned in another thread it seems unfair to make judgements about a team or player this early into the season...personally i'd give the kid alittle more time to allow him to adjust his play to our tempo (he just isn't an intense player like he used to be) but on the other hand if the club was able to obtain someone with the ability to assist with the offensive aspect of our game, that deal should be done, hands down no questions asked
    He's easily one of the fastest players on the team. He's been here for a long time and I don't think that's going to change anytime in the near future. He will rebound and turn his season around.

Quote Originally Posted by patsfan33
    either way its a tough decision, which thankfully is out of our hands...we just gotta sit back and see how it all plays out
    Smartest comment in the thread so far.

I understand some of the critism (we are allowed to... we are fans after all) but for the total removal of a player... no the CAPTAIN... after 10 games is just too much. The Pats are 6-4-0 and have 62 games left... Lots of time to "turn things around." If we had a couple more wins would there be this criticism? I don't think so.

Iconwhl

just to clear things up i hae never liked Deck from day 1 he takes things for granted out there he has played 1 physical game since hes been here and that was against lethbridge last season, now i know hes not a physical guy but ur a defenceman ur suppose to hit guys more guys over power Deck then any of our other defenceman... sure hes got offensive skills but never shoots the puck on the PP with his shot he should be using it at least twice every PP but personally i blame the coaching for that every 1 of our PP chances both our Dmen should be set up for the 1timer but when Deck and Pyett are out there for the PP together they are on there proper wings for no timer chance makes it alot easier for the PK they dont have to cheat to try to block the 1timer pass which would open up something else on the PP..

But back to the Deck thing if u dont miss 1 of your 20 yr olds in this league theres no reason to keep him around... we struggled when Festy wasnt in the line-up bring him back and the forwards start playing again. Deck makes alot of bad decisions out there in his own end.

and people jump all over Reinhart hes been here since hes been 16 hes just a totally defferent player then a Deck or Pyett, Reinhart is a defensive Dmen with no hands, he knows that he has admitted it (since he dates the daughter of the couple who sit below me) Reinhart stands up for his teammates every chance he gets, sure hes not the best fighter out there but hes still not afraid to mix it up..

Bran Guest

Wow...last year everyone figured he was a lock for our overagers and deserved to be here, now after 3 bad games everyone wants to ship him out? So much negativity!

It's early, pretty near everyone has struggled. The Pats have played 10 games, 3 of which he missed because he was sick, which puts him down to 4. One of those games (the last he played, in fact) even you guys couldn't think of anyting bad to say about the guy. His first 3 games weren't great, so the guy's not perfect...surprise! Give the kid a chance...we know what he's capable of, we know how hard he works, how much he gives to this team and this city. I can't be the only person who sees this? Actually, I know I'm not, if he werent important to this team he wouldn't be around and he certainly wouldn't be wearing a 'C'. It would be great to see him use his size, but if that's not something he's comfortable doing, it's certainly not going to help anyone out. Let him play his way, that's when he'll be most productive. As long as his way isn't to stand around and do nothing, which we know it isn't.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking about this thread while I was at work and it occurred to me that my math made no sense. I still stand behind the rest of this post.
    Last edited by Bran; 10-19-2006 at 09:30 PM.

Number_4 Guest

Im wondering how many of you have played hockey in the past.... and had parents/fans/etc on your back because your having trouble. Hmmm... Let me tell you, it just plain sucks. It makes things way worse than they are.

Deck is our captain for a reason. He is a leader. He is also human, and last time I checked, us humans make mistakes and have troubles now and then. What he needs more than anything right now is our support. Remember he does have bronchitis right now, that does tend to affect your ability to breathe and therefore maintain any kind of momentum. And if hes on the drugs that they usually prescribe for that, his head is in a fog. Im not making excuses for his play of late, rather I am giving you fans an idea of what he has been going through.

Deck is a heart and soul player. Just because he plays D does not mean that he has to go out and hit and fight and be Mr.Tough Guy. That has never been his style of play. Deck has always been a offensive minded player, and knows to leave the tough stuff to guys like Reinhart and N.Ross. Thats their game, not his. And that bs about the corners and such... give it a rest. Watch his positioning, he is the second D, the one that will come in to help out, or move the puck once it comes free. That is his role. Coaches know he can score, why tie him up in the corner?

Just give the guy a chance to get well, and get back into the groove a bit... its hard to be yourself when your sick. And its really hard to get back into the game when the fans are calling for your departure 10 games into the season. Be Patient. We need Deck.

Getting off my soapbox now...

(takes deep breath) OK..

What I was trying to say is that regardless if he is our captain or not, he is in slump right now, and not playing like one. I said before that he should be given time to improve because its so early in the season, but I guess nobody read that part, did they? Regardless of what he has done last year, this is now, and right now, he aint so hot out there.

I expect him to get back where he left off, just like ross, and others have. He is an important player to the team, and believe it or not, I do think he has a place in the lineup(even though he is only the captain.. ), he just hasnt played like he deserves one so far. I though it was obvious that that is what I meant, not proposing a mutiny or something.

What I'm basically saying is that if he doesnt get back on track, a trade is probably a good option LATER ON IN THE SEASON, NOT NOW!
    Last edited by Some_Arrogant_Jerk; 10-20-2006 at 05:05 PM.

All I'm saying is if he keeps up his (IMO) poor play, then I would say a trade would be looked at...but if he can pick it back up, then thats great. We know he is a great player, but he has to play like it.