Thread: 11/14/06 Pats vs Winterhawks

Default 11/14/06 Pats vs Winterhawks

well i definately failed to look where the Winterhawks were in the US Division standings before i watched this one tonight...not that it mattered

7-0! punk rock

What a start to this one...Snellmen gets a penalty and a goal with less than 10 seconds of icetime...priceless

3 goals on 3 shots....can't get any better than that

coming out party for Kyle Ross...finally...the kid works so hard each and every game and its finally paying off for him. He's just rackin up the points.
    Congrats to him for the hat trick as well (once again, Tartaglione appeared to be the only individual who took notice, throwing his helmet onto the ice )

Rowat finally gets a star!! He's been tending the net great as of late and has failed to be recognized for it. He only faced about 14 shots tonight, but who cares a shut out is a shut out...and he just happened to get it while facing Mucha, a rival opponent also eligible for the 2007 entry draft... haha

...and of course have to mention the Weyburn boys....oh my...we need more fan support like that at our games. Took me awhile to figure out that the "Jordan" they were also rooting for was Portland player, Taylor Jordan, also from Wynard.

Anyway, no more puck at the dome for awhile...its going to be a long two weeks . Hopefully this trip won't be as unsuccessful as the last. If we can down the Giants, I'll be a happy camper

patsfan33 I saw that you were posting as I was doing my write up so I decided to wait and read what you had to say... I agree with most part but I will post my thoughts...

The Pats take 2 points from the Winter Hawks tonight and move 1 game over .500 for the first time in quite a while. It was a decent victory for the Pats tonight. Led by Kyle Ross’ 3 goal game (Natural hat trick to boot) the Pats started the game on a good note scoring on their first 3 shots on net and really never looked back. Rowat had little trouble pitching a 16 shot shut out.

Snellman opened the scoring with a beauty of a marker on a breakaway that beat Mucha low (5-hole) thanks to a feed from Deck that hit Snellman exiting the penalty box. 1-0 Pats.

Reich made the game 2-0 with a nice goal on yet another breakway where he faked the shot and waited for Mucha to nove and Reich slid the puck between his pads. Assist to K. Ross.

As it did take the Pats 10:44 to get their 3rd shot on net but made good on it and made the score 3-0. K. Ross potted the goal as Portland’s defence had trouble controlling the puck. The assists going to Reich and Pyett.

Shots after 1 were 8-4 in favor of the Pats.

The Pats made the game 4-0 on the power play. K. Ross scored his second of the night on a rebound in which Mucha made the first save and Ross was standing beside the net and grabbed the puck and put it into the yawning cage, assist Reich.

K. Ross completed the natural hat trick with his 7th goal of the season. The Pats work the puck out of their zone and it is chipped off the glass and Ross is able to coral the puck and score. Pats are up 5-0 the goal is originally un-assisted but later an assist was added to Delahey (which happened to be his first WHL point).

Shots were 9-7 for the Pats (17-11 after 2 periods).

The Pats made it 6-0 6:09 into the 3rd with Eberle scoring goal #12 of his young career on a nice goal (quick hand-eye). Pyett lets the puck fly from the blue line and it is wide to the right Eberle picks up the puck and scores. The other assist went to Festerling.

Pats rounded out the scoring on a goal by Bernhardt making the score 7-0. The Pats were working the puck deep and there is a scramble… Bernhardt is able to tip the puck past goalie Mucha. Assists to Delahey and Brownlee.

Shots in the 3rd were 14-5 for the Pats. 31-16 for the game.

The referee was Jason Mercer; he was okay missed calls made calls I’m pretty much indifferent with him… but the Pats did have 11 power plays to Portland’s 5.

There was one scrap tonight Reinhart vs. McLaren. I will not recap this one as I seem to get blasted by people for giving my fight opinions. All I will say is that Reinhart don’t think he realized he was fighting until McLaren hit him 3 times. McLaren gets the “W.”

Other Game Thoughts…
    Rowat played a good game but wasn’t tested much. He never had to make any huge saves but good game. Mucha… I feel sorry for this kid. The Winter Hawks team let him down time after time, his defence never really even battled or did much of anything for him tonight, can’t really “blame” any of the goals on him directly.

The Pats’ D-unit was alright. No one in particular was a standout in either a good way or bad. But I will say Delahey and Reinhart had decent games. Portland’s defence looked like they were just here to play with little or no emotion and were not very good as a whole. Sauer was the team’s best D but wasn’t that spectacular. Gordichuk was okay.

The Pats forwards were good from pretty much all standpoints. Kyle Ross was easily the Pats best forward (player) yet again. Reich played his agitator role and picked himself up 3 points in yet another good game for him. I could point out pretty much anyone in the forward units and not say anything bad about them. Bernhardt, Jagow, Festerling, Scott, Brownlee amongst others had strong games. The Winter Hawks forwards almost seem to refuse to battle for loose pucks or really anything positive. Klinkhammer was unimpressive tonight. Best forwards McLaren (big and can skate) and Bailey.

The Pats used their speed to their advantage and made many of the tree-like Winter Hawks players look like pylons (if the Pats could have connected with more of their passes they could have easily had way more scoring chances). The Hawks team is full of big lugs that are not very fast and the team as a group appeared to lack emotion and seemed to have very little effort tonight.

3 Stars
    1. Kyle Ross
    2. Mike Reich
    3. Linden Rowat
    No argument here.

Random Thoughts…
    I can’t remember the girl’s name who sang the anthems but she struggled… but didn’t crack under pressure and continued on like a trooper.

Maybe I missed something with this but did anyone watch the pre-game warm-up? There was an older looking guy on the Pats bench looking all coach-like… I didn’t recognize him. Lo’ and behold he appears on the Pats’ bench to open up the 3rd.

The hamster ball races are probably the best intermission show the Pats have (other than the Timbits).

And I really think the Pats need to get a new entrance song. “Takin' Care Of Business” just seems too 1970’s.

Tartaglione haha... Mask for the hat trick haha... Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek_wahs
    Maybe I missed something with this but did anyone watch the pre-game warm-up? There was an older looking guy on the Pats bench looking all coach-like… I didn’t recognize him. Lo’ and behold he appears on the Pats’ bench to open up the 3rd.
    To answer my own question I just got the LeaderPost and according to the article it is Todd Streuby had been hired by the Pats as a part-time assistant coach (he is currently a member of the Regina Police Service and played for the Pats and Blades in his junior career).

I thoguht that this was a good way to start the bus ride into BC. They didnt fall down as much, but they didnt connect alot with their passes. I wouldnt say be played all that great though, it was more that Portland was playing that bad. They didnt give any effort at all after the first 3 goals. Lets just say that if we played against portland like we did against the silvertips, we could have easily gone into double digits.

The anthem girl did struggle with the american anthem, and all the old people in my section were all grumbling and stuff. It was funny some of the things they said, but I wont get further into that.. Good thing for her she is hot, because she sure cant sing( way too pitchy).

ANYways... back to the game. The snellman goal was a beauty for sure, but I think he moved from the backhand, back to the forehand and tucked it in short side, it wasnt five hole. I hope he keeps put the good play he has had lately. Instead of just charging at anything not in pats colors, he actually displayed some fairly good offensive skills that could develop into something great. Would like to see him make more big hits though, hasnt done that much lately.

Reich is really impressing me for someone who was supposed to only be a gritty gorward. One thing is for sure that he is definatly filling the void duval left behind, and alot more. This guy is such a great skater too, and has got some good offensive skills, along with the grittyness. I think of him as Ryan Mcdonald, except a better skater, and more confidence while on offence. I thought that he was long due for another offensive game. As for Ross, its good to see his hard work pay off. He is probably the best pat in most games this year, even if he doesnt have the top numbers. He definatly learned alot from the first line last year, and its beginning to show.

Most of the pats had decent games, most notably the ones I mentioned, and guys like Jagow, Rowat, and pyett, though Pyett can do better, but I think that despite getting a goal that Bernhardt didnt play all that well. He gets knocked off the puck WAY to easily, he isnt driving the net or anything like that at all. He was just lucky to be at the right place at the right time to put the puck in the net. I know Im not giving him much credit, but I think that he can do ALOT better than he did last night.

This was another decent reffed game, would be nice to see it continued. As for the scraps, the Reinhart/Mclaren was no contest, Mclaren probably didnt even break a sweat, and after 3 to 4 punches, Rein hart went down.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek_wahs
    And I really think the Pats need to get a new entrance song. “Takin' Care Of Business” just seems too 1970’s.
    Yeah, its kind of kills the whole epic video idea. That video is so epic and all awesome n stuff, and then takin care of business kills it. Perhaps they should just cut the song and then have the crazy annoucer guy do his "thing".

Quote Originally Posted by patsfan33
    ...and of course have to mention the Weyburn boys....oh my...we need more fan support like that at our games. Took me awhile to figure out that the "Jordan" they were also rooting for was Portland player, Taylor Jordan, also from Wynard.
    Thats not gonna happen. Im sure that if you added up all the ages of the people in attendance and averaged the ages, your overall average would be around 70. We rely on younger, visiting fans to bring the noise so that we cheer back to try and either prove we are the louder fans, or to shut them up.

PS: Im buying another hat as soon as I can, so that I can throw it next time there is a hat trick. Its getting pathetic that everyone is too cheap to throw their hat, and I, for one, am going to do something about it. You guys should do the same!