Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Where was the REf and Benke

Quote Originally Posted by Willis on the Welfare
    ointhecreek is right. We should have Karl Benke return and quarterback the powerplay. Comparing Postma to Benke (which I think is what you're doing) is ridiculous. Postma is the powerplay QB of the present and future, Benke is a 6'5 220 pound liability, who is only still on the team's list in case of injuries.

Honestly asnwer these questions:

Would you be comfortable seeing Karl Benke on the powerplay?

Would you be comfortable seeing Benke kill penalties? (picture him out there against Brandon's powerplay)

Would you be comfortable seeing Karl Benke matched up with Codey Burki's line? Hanzal and Starkov? Darren Helm?

I still haven't seen many answers to the question: If we bring him back, who do we sit? Who loses ice time and developement for the Karl Benke experiment?

Our coaches made the right call on this one.
    Yes I would be comfortable with Benke on the PP, stand him in front of the Goalie, Look at the senators PP when Chara was in front of the net.

Killing penelties, proberally not, but he wasn't given the chance in the first place so we really don't know how he would do.

We really have no one to answer the Starkov/Hanzel line right now anyways so that question is pretty stupid to ask in the first place.
    I would rather see McAvoy sit.
    "Good timber doesn't grow with ease the stronger the wind the stronger the tree"

Quote Originally Posted by Broncs in RD
    We really have no one to answer the Starkov/Hanzel line right now anyways so that question is pretty stupid to ask in the first place.
    That is almost the most rediculous statement I've ever heard! Granted, Hanzal had four or five points when the Rebels were here, but did you see our PK shut two COMPLETE five on threes down??!!??!! The Hanzal/Starkov/Sutter line was out there through all two of them, and could not muster even five shots on goal...they were all blocked. Then, we had the momentum and Rakos took a silly penalty late, and THEN Hanzal scored. If that had not happened, we probably would have won that one. But to say we have no answer to that line is almost ridiculous...one thing is for certain....KARL couldn't help us in that regard. He'd probably fall in front of the net, and take the goalie down with him!! Then what? What if his big skate then hit the goalie in the head?? THEN WHAT??!!??
    We have one of the elite penalty kills in the league. We are slumping a bit in the last four games with the PK, but we're killing them off at a feverish pace normally. SO THERE!
    GO BRONCOS GO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigern
    That is almost the most rediculous statement I've ever heard! Granted, Hanzal had four or five points when the Rebels were here, but did you see our PK shut two COMPLETE five on threes down??!!??!! The Hanzal/Starkov/Sutter line was out there through all two of them, and could not muster even five shots on goal...they were all blocked. Then, we had the momentum and Rakos took a silly penalty late, and THEN Hanzal scored. If that had not happened, we probably would have won that one. But to say we have no answer to that line is almost ridiculous...one thing is for certain....KARL couldn't help us in that regard. He'd probably fall in front of the net, and take the goalie down with him!! Then what? What if his big skate then hit the goalie in the head?? THEN WHAT??!!??
    We have one of the elite penalty kills in the league. We are slumping a bit in the last four games with the PK, but we're killing them off at a feverish pace normally. SO THERE!
    Ya exactly hanzel had 5 points and Starkov had 4 so what are you trying to tell me? We shut them down? I said we have no one to shut that line down. 2 players getting 9 points is not shutting them down bigern no matter what, they got 9 points in one game against us that is awful. Were you at the game in Red Deer when Hanzel and Starkov out skated out worked our whole team. You can't say Karl would fall down and knock our goalie over because he never had a chance. SO THERE
    "Good timber doesn't grow with ease the stronger the wind the stronger the tree"

4. Default Benke

Karl Benke as an 18 year old d-man has to be able to playin all situations against otehr teams top lines.

Don't even think of camparing Benke to Chara. Chara is a Norris calibre d-man with skill to go with size.

Karl Benke has no goals in 70+ WHL games (yes, ointhecreek 70+) You can't just stick a big man in front of the goalie on a PP and expect results. We tried it with Trojovsky a few years ago and that was a powerplay with White, Williams, Leavitt and Redenbach. Guess what? I didn't work!

I credit Broncos in RD with at least answering the question of who we should sit for Benke. I don't agree it should be McAvoy. It shouldn't be anyone, but at least he has tried to answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Willis on the Welfare
    Karl Benke as an 18 year old d-man has to be able to playin all situations against otehr teams top lines.

Don't even think of comparing Benke to Chara. Chara is a Norris calibre d-man with skill to go with size.

Karl Benke has no goals in 70+ WHL games (yes, ointhecreek 70+) You can't just stick a big man in front of the goalie on a PP and expect results. We tried it with Trojovsky a few years ago and that was a powerplay with White, Williams, Leavitt and Redenbach. Guess what? I didn't work!

I credit Broncos in RD with at least answering the question of who we should sit for Benke. I don't agree it should be McAvoy. It shouldn't be anyone, but at least he has tried to answer the question.
    Well, for one thing, Mr. big shot, I don't think they should sit anyone permanently, just some players that don't want to think and decide to play for themselves instead of as a team. What makes you think I was talking about Postma? Do you think he has given up a lot of short handed breakaways? There are a few guys that deserve to sit out because of lack of leadership and lack of effort. That doesn't mean they should sit permanently. I never said either that Benke was the answer to the problems either so stop putting words in my posts that are not there. Now I've answered your question as much as I'm going to and am done discussing it with you because you are starting to get real arrogant about the whole thing and am not going to get in an argument on this board. I imagine I'll either get deleted or edited.

Remember the past, live for the present, look to the future.

I support the TEAM no matter WHO is coach or on the board 'cause I AM A BRONCO FAN!!!!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ointhecreek
    Well, for one thing, Mr. big shot, I don't think they should sit anyone permanently, just some players that don't want to think and decide to play for themselves instead of as a team. What makes you think I was talking about Postma? Do you think he has given up a lot of short handed breakaways? There are a few guys that deserve to sit out because of lack of leadership and lack of effort. That doesn't mean they should sit permanently. I never said either that Benke was the answer to the problems either so stop putting words in my posts that are not there. Now I've answered your question as much as I'm going to and am done discussing it with you because you are starting to get real arrogant about the whole thing and am not going to get in an argument on this board. I imagine I'll either get deleted or edited.
    All I'm saying is the coaches made the only move they could with the roster we have. Benke was given a chance and didn't cut it.

How's he doing in Nanaimo? Anyone hear?

PS: Scout, please don't edit the Mr. Big Shot comment. I kinda like it.
    Last edited by Willis on the Welfare; 12-09-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncs in RD
    Ya exactly hanzel had 5 points and Starkov had 4 so what are you trying to tell me? We shut them down? I said we have no one to shut that line down. 2 players getting 9 points is not shutting them down bigern no matter what, they got 9 points in one game against us that is awful. Were you at the game in Red Deer when Hanzel and Starkov out skated out worked our whole team. You can't say Karl would fall down and knock our goalie over because he never had a chance. SO THERE
    Our penalty kill is awesome! They just finished off the SEVENTH kill against the Wheaties in Brandon right now.....who have the absolute top PP in the league. I got carried away a bit up there, yes, Starkov and Hanzal did score a lot of points....whatever. No matter what they do tonight, I'm still proud of what they're doing in Brandon. They are LITERALLY CRUSHING the top PP in the league. We do have a good D! Who knows what our guys would do against Hanzal/Sutter/Starkov tonight! Right now Red Deer is burning up the Regina Pats 3-0 in the first. I don't think they'd be doing that to us tonight if we were playing them. So whatever you think, I think for a rebuilding team, our defense, especially our PK, is awesome. SO THERE!! It's a matter of opinion, that's all. Thanks for responding.
    GO BRONCOS GO!!!

I'm very proud to post the 100th reply on this thread! Unbelievable how our fans in Swift discuss their team, especially the "Benke issue"! LOL LOL
    Congrats Swift Current fans! We undoubtedly have the best forum in this website. I want to take this opportunity to say thankyou all consistent bloggers. We all play a big part in the Broncos' organization!
    Last edited by Big Ern; 12-09-2006 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Misplaced Apostrophe
    GO BRONCOS GO!!!

superfan Guest

I Think That I May Be The 100 Poster According To The Number Of Replies Posted Anyways Congrats Team You Guys Are All Chipping In Together And Playing Great Hockey,even You Guys That Are Not Getting Points If It Were Not For You We Wouldnt Be Putting The Puck In The Net And Winning

This Benke situation should get very interesting in the next week. If Karl was called up then suspended what will the team do since Benke has now played 2 games for Nanimo. Apparantly Nanaimo would care less about WHL transfer rules. I kind of like it.
    Don't take life so seriously...you can't get out of it alive.

BRONCOS 4 LIFE