Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Where was the REf and Benke

Benke's re-assignment must be official. I heard it on the radio this afternoon that he's been re-assigned to Fort Saskatchewan.

Hope he can the take the extra ice time he gets in Ft. Sask to improve on his skating skills, and become a more valuable member to the team upon his return.
    A Broncos fan I was born, a Broncos fan I will die! GO BRONCOS GO!

Default From Jon Keen's Blog

The Swift Current Broncos announced this morning that they have reassigned 18 year old defenseman Karl Benke to the Fort Saskatchewan Traders of the Alberta Junior Hokcey League.

The second year Bronco appeared in 12 of the Broncos first 28 games, recording 35 penalty minutes. Last season, the Edmonton native played 51 games with 2 assists and 113 minutes in penalties.

The Broncos roster now sits at 22 players, (2 Goaltenders, 7 Defensemen, and 13 forwards).

Next action for the Broncos is this Friday night as they travel to Moose Jaw to play the Warriors. Next Broncos home game is this Saturday when they host the Brandon Wheat Kings on Kurt’s KFC Teddy Bear Toss Night.

I sure hope the blueline can stay injury-free for awhile. He will be called back if required.

Well, I guess thats one way of stopping the fans from complaining about it. At least he'll get some playing time now.

Remember the past, live for the present, look to the future.

I support the TEAM no matter WHO is coach or on the board 'cause I AM A BRONCO FAN!!!!

MY OPINION.....Sorry if you don't like it!!!

Certainly a reasonable move by Broncos' management to reassign Benke. I thought he looked very unsure of himself out there. Don't forget, he's 18 this year already, and maybe should have stepped it up in the games he did play this season.
    Hopefully the "BENKE TALK" will die down now. Everybody should understand the move. They're simply developing two defenseman that were noticed by scouts, and are playing great. They're sending home a guy who...well.....hasn't really been a light-it-up guy with this team. And no doubt that Postma's probably missing the net more than he should. He did great at hitting the net in practice yesterday. But let me tell you!!!....when that howitzer DOES hit the net, I swear it'll beat the goalie three out of five times! GUARANTEED!! And he's only seventeen...we have yet to see the best of Paul Postma! And Darek Claffey...well....he's just an awesome defenseman in pretty much every way possible!
    ANYONE DISAGREE??? PLEASE!!!! Fire back at me!!! I like to read responses!
    Last edited by Big Ern; 11-29-2006 at 11:02 PM.
    GO BRONCOS GO!!!

I agree Benke could have been one of the top heavyweights in this league if he were given the CHANCE. We all knew he would not put up big points or be the best skater, but either was Tidball and Rumsey doesn't put up huge numbers either, but everyone has a role on a team which are very valuable. I don't believe Benke was given a chance to reach his potential. Last year he had one of the best +/- on the team with limited ice time and this year was not given a fair shake. I would have liked to see him as a forward on the 4th line. Remeber Colton Orr 4th liner with the Broncos and now a heavyweight in the NHL oh ya he couldn't skate well either. Some of young talent that needs to be developed need more than 4th liner ice time.
    "Good timber doesn't grow with ease the stronger the wind the stronger the tree"

I was beginning to think I was the only Benke supporter on this board. Every body says that we have to get the young guys more ice time. Well last time I looked Benke wasn't very old, where's his ice time to develop? He came to camp a much improved skater and gets less time then last year. I didn't expect him to play every game, but to play more against the slower crash bang teams. I don't care what the others say, we need a player like him but I hope he's at least getting more ice time now. nhl

Remember the past, live for the present, look to the future.

I support the TEAM no matter WHO is coach or on the board 'cause I AM A BRONCO FAN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loud Pete
    c'mon Bigern. Karl Benke could have been the next Matt Kassian and we discarded him like so much garbage. nhl

Stay in school.
    No we didn't discard him like garbage! When he did have a fight, he didn't really do that much.
    Bottom line, all I'm saying is, Postma or Claffey ARE better d-men, and SERIOUSLY man, I'm not talking BS. I'm just telling you what I definitely saw myself, and I swear I spend half my life at the Centennial Civic Centre, if not more!
    BENKE, even during practice, almost seemed to FALL OVER out there. Sure he's big, but was that worth keeping him? We have a very physical team. I DON'T WANT TO SAY THIS ABOUT HIM! DON'T GET ME WRONG! I DON'T WANT TO!! But if I saw it myself...and think that way...I mean...should I lie about it??!!??
    GO BRONCOS GO!!!

Bigern I am sure your not a lier, but that is only your opinion and I respect that. Do you remember Colton Orr the guy skated on his ankles, but he is in the show cause they gave him a chance he improved big time. We did not give him a chance he is only 18 and 51 games in the dub last year and 12 this year. You can't say he was given a chance. I am sad to see him go.
    "Good timber doesn't grow with ease the stronger the wind the stronger the tree"

hockeycoach Guest

Default bigern

I have seen my fair amount of practises too and everyone has the rough one now and then, but the thing in Benke is that he always gave it his all, no matter if he was having a good or bad skate. Never seen a guy work so hard while being screwed around.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeycoach
    Never seen a guy work so hard while being screwed around.
    C'mon! When and how would he have been screwed around?
    Hey, some guys try TOO HARD. Maybe that was the case with him...anyway, like I said, he isn't a guy that will ever bring fans to their feet, that's for sure....MY OPINION, of course.
    GO BRONCOS GO!!!