Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: December 30,1986 #8 #9#11#22

Quote Originally Posted by rinkrat
    Perhaps the league could have a moment of silence in every rink on the 30th.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Hopefully they do.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

very touching moment. Thanks Scout

3. Default Thanks Scout

Scout's post should be read by every Bronco fan, player, volunteer and employee.

I was nine years old when this happened. Brent Ruff was my favorite player on the team. He was 16 and had just scored his 1st WHL goal a few weeks earlier. He was really starting to come into his own as a player. The Broncos used to go to the Wheatland Mall on their off Saturdays to do PR. John Foster, the PR guy at the time introduced me to Brent Ruff at a "Score on the Bronco Goalie" contest. Everyone loved Scottie Kruger, but from that moment on, my favorite player was Brent Ruff.

When I heard he was one of the players who was killed it was weird. He was the the first person I'd ever met, talked to, shook hands with and a few weeks later was gone forever.

This is a time to remember those four boys. We should also remember the rest of the team. Many of them never dealt with death before either. They faced it head on.

Very touching story. Thanks for posting this
    MEDICINE HAT TIGERS
    http://tigerturf.blogspot.com/

Icon32

Thanks fot the post. Great story, very touching and a MUST read by everyone. I hope the Hitmen have a minute silence in memory that night against Brandon. I can't believe it's been 20 years already. I remember when it happened and had to drive past the site a week afterwards. Lots of emotion. And was so happy when the Broncos won the Memorial Cup a few years later.

I remember i was 12 at the time being in Regina for Christmas i was supposed to go to that game with my dad and two uncles. I was very excited to go to the game since i had not seen a pats game all year being a season ticket holder the year before since we had moved to Ottawa over the summer. I heard late in the afternoon that the game was canceled i was very angry that i didn't get to see the game but once i found out why the game was canceled i understood that it had to be done. I still to this day remember the sadness i felt watching the story on the news and seeing all the news footage.

I agree something should be done to commemorate the passing of these young men. Something like this reminds you that its just a game and that there are things much more important in life.

I was twelve at the time and hockey was my life. If I wasn't at the Civic Center I was at Fairview rink or any outdoor rink. The Broncos were all people I could and did look up to. I remember being with my buddies in their basement, when their sister came home and told us who it was that was killed in the accident. I was devastated. I remember asking all kinds of questions, how, and mostly why?? The memorial at the rink was something I'll never forget, all the teams being there, and all the fans family and friends, not a dry eye in the rink, it was very emotional. I also went with my mom and dad to the next Bronco game in MJ, to see all the fans of both teams cheer for the Broncos was something that will always be remembered. Anywhere I went after that people would ask about the bus accident, and I hope people never stop asking, as these four youngsters, should always be remembered.
    Always Remembered

Just posting to get this thread back on the homepage.
    GO BRONCOS GO!!!

Default Tomorrow December 30th

A day to remember for all

I remember my family and I lived there at the time, I was 6 years old and didnt have a clue what was happening. My Dad is in the RCMP and was called out to the accident and the only thing I remember from that accident was hearing Dad coming home and telling Mom what had happened. But every year on the 30th it crosses my mind what happened. And thanks Scout for passing that story along.