Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Don Hay Leaving Giants to coach Blazers

Yes indeed. As I know nothing about him other than whats in this thread. A no name to me.

The Heat played an up tempo game & were one of the top teams in the AHL in scoring. Just because he was an assistant with Constantine, it doesn't mean they shared the same view on a style of hockey.

Toigo said they were going to hire a coach who played an offensive brand of hockey & I'll take their word on that.

I guess nobody really knows how things will turn out but they needed a fresh face & a new voice.

It's funny how Hunter gets hired by Moose Jaw on the same exact day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
    It's funny how Hunter gets hired by Moose Jaw on the same exact day.
    Broken record - but it really just adds to the question of why it had to take so long. Even if they didn't want Hunter it sounds like they spent a fair bit of time with him to just get nowhere. I'm more than willing to reserve judgement but in the mean time my "impartiality" is going to have a bent in the "it took this long for this result - WHAT were they thinking!?!?" direction. Now I'm just as curious to see how things shake down for the Warriors.

I have to think Hunter's lack of head coaching experience had something to do with it. Not that I'm suggesting he isn't qualified enough to be a head coach at this level he absolutely is. Anybody that has coached in any capacity at the NHL level is more than qualified to be a head coach in the WHL. But it is a much different responsibility being an assistant coach and a being the main guy.

On a personal level I think I would have preferred Hunter running the bench but I'm trusting the Giants did their homework and got the guy they feel is best. I just hope Ward doesn't play a brand of hockey I don't want to see. I get the feeling he will fit into that mold. I have nothing against offensive hockey but I still want my teams to be big and physical...something the Giants don't appear to be. But who am I kidding? The game is changing...far too fast for my liking. Soon enough that brand of hockey will be a thing of the past.

But who am I kidding? The game is changing...far too fast for my liking. Soon enough that brand of hockey will be a thing of the past.
    It already has been for the last few seasons here

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyradiant View Post
    It already has been for the last few seasons here
    True enough. That was part of Hay's demise here trying to win playing a different style. If it ain't broke why fix it? Anyway the style of hockey I love is becoming obsolete. No surprise my interest in the sport is fading fast...

Quote Originally Posted by MeszarosFan View Post

Thanks for that MF - an illuminating read - as least it sounds like he's got some chops and a wide range of experience - that could be good or bad -- as in he worked for everyonem because he could find a steady gig where they wanted to keep him. I hope he infuses some life into this team whihc has been sleepwalking the past few seasons
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

True enough. That was part of Hay's demise here trying to win playing a different style. If it ain't broke why fix it? Anyway the style of hockey I love is becoming obsolete. No surprise my interest in the sport is fading fast...
    Yes I find myself losing interest as well with what is being done to the game.

We have taken responsibility out of the players hands, added more rules and let the refs dictate how the game is played including the level of intensity.

The death knell of old time hockey really started to the ring when the "whining at the ref" unsportsmanlike calls started being made -- it started before then, but this is when I noticed a decided shift in control of the flow and intensity level of the game being "managed" by sh*tty thin-skinned refs who haven't even read their own manuals
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

I'm so glad Hay is gone. He had a great run, took the team to the top of the WHL & top of the CHL. He did a great job that not many coach's can do.

The last few seasons though have been really tough. Not because of the losses but because Hay didn't want to change his style & he didn't seem interested in being the aggressor. The team was tiny year after year & I blame Hay. I've spoken with Scott many times & he says it's Don that wants a small team.

Now that he's gone, it'll be interesting to see what type of players Bonner acquires. I'm sure hoping big, aggressive guys. Tough guys that won't take a back seat when the going gets rough, & let's face it, that's not very often anymore.

Training camp is just under 2 weeks away. Bonner has a TON of work ahead of him, especially on the back end.