Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 roster

Calcheyup When you say,"You do understand that the Rebels were just dumped in the first round of the WHL playoffs easily, right?" I guess your idea of "easily" is different than mine. The Rebs were beat by one goal in each of three games and two goals, including and empty netter, in the fourth loss. Would you have felt the same about where the Rebels are currently if they had gone into the next round?

When I saw Pratt and Mismash in camp, I was more impressed with these two than Leschyshyn. That is not to say Leschyshyn won't be a quality player but I wonder where Leschyshyn, Burke, and McCarty would have been in next year's depth chart if Reese Johnson, Pratt, and two Euro forwards (and Mismash as a long shot) show.
    Last edited by tiny; 04-05-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    Everyone has nothing good to say about Burke and McCarty and yet they were the young guys that made the last set of cuts on this team this year. So if they are so bad, then there must not be anything left in the system unless some late round 16 year olds are going to surprise next year.
    If he signs here, Austin Pratt will be the lone 16 year old next season I suspect. Everything I have seen seems to point to him being keen to sign here. If he does, it will be the equivalent of having two first round picks last season (which is why they were able to deal Leschyshyn). If he doesn't, that will be a pretty big blow to this team.

The only thing left for trade bait on this team that will bring any return are Mahura and Strand
    That isn't entirely true, if Memorial Cup host history stays true, they will also likely trade their next few seasons worth of 1st/2nd round picks as well. They also have a handful of serviceable overage players that they should be able to get some return for.

If at the start of the year, you would have told me that Bleackley would be 95th in whl scoring, I would have taken the bet in a heartbeat. He is just one of the many that had very slightly better, flat or down offensive output to last year.
    Another slow start/injury-riddled season for Bleackley and another season of indifferent play from Fleury could end up being the albatross around Sutter's neck. I think that a few of us had predicted a Bleackley-like second season for Musil as well, and he fell far short of those predictions this season.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    When I saw Pratt and Mismash in camp, I was more impressed with these two than Leschyshyn.
    Same. Pratt is big and physical, and dominated the scoring during the scrimmages. They even stuck him on a line with Bleackley for the scrimmages in the last few days of camp. With Leschyshyn, you could see that the skill was there, but he got manhandled a lot, and didn't appear to have the greatest conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Calcheyup When you say,"You do understand that the Rebels were just dumped in the first round of the WHL playoffs easily, right?" I guess your idea of "easily" is different than mine. The Rebs were beat by one goal in each of three games and two goals, including and empty netter, in the fourth loss. Would you have felt the same about where the Rebels are currently if they had gone into the next round?

When I saw Pratt and Mismash in camp, I was more impressed with these two than Leschyshyn. That is not to say Leschyshyn won't be a quality player but I wonder where Leschyshyn, Burke, and McCarty would have been in next year's depth chart if Reese Johnson, Pratt, and two Euro forwards (and Mismash as a long shot) show.
    This. It's as if the team was upset in round one haha. I mean, they faced an older Tigers team that made trades strictly for this season, full credit to them. I was proud of the way the team played, could have easily won it in 5 with a bounce here or there. I don't full understand the new playoff format, but it sure did the club zero favors this years.

Quote Originally Posted by hockey4 View Post
    This. It's as if the team was upset in round one haha. I mean, they faced an older Tigers team that made trades strictly for this season, full credit to them. I was proud of the way the team played, could have easily won it in 5 with a bounce here or there. I don't full understand the new playoff format, but it sure did the club zero favors this years.
    While Calcheyup may be a little harse in his analysis of the series with how much separates the two teams, he is correct in his feelings for what we needed to see from this team to consider them a Memorial cup contender. They went from 35 wins last year and a sudden death tie breaker loss to 38 wins this year and a five game first round exit. It is an improvement over last year, but not much of one and to install any confidence that this team will be able to compete for the Memorial cup next year, i think we needed to see more growth than that this year.
    Medicine hat is not a team that I would classify as a cup contender this year as they struggled with to much inconsistent play during the regular season just like Red Deer did. They have one line that can kill you and I think to win the show, you have to have more depth than that.
    To say that Medicine Hat made moves to improve their team this year while Red Deer was focusing on next year is completely false as Cote, Sheen and Gay were all brought in to improve this year's team and give them a shot at a run in the playoffs. That did not happen and i can't see how missing out on the experience of a decent playoff run doesn't hurt the chances next year.

How long has it been and you have to wonder how long it will be till Red Deer has a player like Calgary's Conner Rankin. A guy who increases his point total year over year by 31 and in the playoffs still finds a way to step it up some more with 10 points in 7 games.
    With the defensive style that Red Deer players are forced to play....probably a while.
    Maybe, if Bleackley can actually stay healthy for a whole year, he will be that guy next year. We can hope anyway.

How long has it been and you have to wonder how long it will be till Red Deer has a player like Calgary's Conner Rankin. A guy who increases his point total year over year by 31
    44,39,58,48, and 79. Looks like he takes a few steps back after finally increasing his point totals by 31 in his overage season. Not really what I would consider 'year over year', but more a byproduct of a skilled but inconsistent player finding some consistency with a new team.

With the defensive style that Red Deer players are forced to play....probably a while.
    If they play their system to perfection, they will have a high amount of puck possession, and should have no trouble generating offense from there if they have the players that can do it. However, they will have to start executing it a little better, or they won't have enough possession to accomplish this.

Maybe, if Bleackley can actually stay healthy for a whole year, he will be that guy next year. We can hope anyway.
    Red Deer needs to start finding some guys that put up big numbers either without getting drafted/signed by an NHL team, or somehow ending up here as a drafted overage impact player. Or just suddenly materialize out of NCAA every year... Ever notice that Calgary has at least one NHL drafted player as one or more of their overage players EVERY YEAR? I think the last time they didn't, was in 2010-11 when they finished in last place.

Not trolling, just interested to hear your expectations for next year in regular season play. Expecting to finish above or below Brandon and Regina, and what position in your division?
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    Not trolling, just interested to hear your expectations for next year in regular season play. Expecting to finish above or below Brandon and Regina
    Brandon scored 100 more regular season goals than Red Deer this season. Hard to imagine that Red Deer is going to be able to add enough pieces to match up with them head to head offensively in any way. I think they should be as good or better than Regina. Really all hypothetical at this point though, as there is a lot of work for Sutter to do this summer.

and what position in your division?
    Medicine hat currently has thirteen players that are in their 19 year old or 20 year old season, including their starting goalie from the last three seasons. Seems like next season should be a transition year of sorts for them.

Kootenay loses basically their whole team in Reinhart, Bozon and Valiev, and they have fourteen players in their 19 and 20 year old seasons. Will probably be a lean year in Cranbrook next season.

I don't suspect there will be a huge turnaround in Lethbridge next season, they will probably be battling it out with Kootenay for last spot.

Calgary should have a decent lineup returning, and will give Red Deer some competition for the Division title.

How long has it been and you have to wonder how long it will be till Red Deer has a player like Calgary's Conner Rankin. A guy who increases his point total year over year by 31 and in the playoffs still finds a way to step it up some more with 10 points in 7 games.
    Well Calgary had to trade for him, so it wasnt like they developed him. As mentioned above, this was by far his best year. No different than Tambelinni

I guess it just comes down to what SND said, Rd's best players often are drafted into the NHL, developed, and then move on to Pro, so I guess you just have to decide whether that is a good or bad thing.

I'll give RD credit, they have put an huge number of players full-time in the NHL over the last 6 years, Sutter/Dumba/RNH/Petrovic/Reimer/Kuemper and i could be missing some. I dont think that has been matched by anyone within the division.