Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2013 WHL Bantam Draft

Default Missing the point...

There is no one saying Skinner isn't a good pick at 17, and that Boes isn't a good goalie, just that our gm got his ***** handed to him in the return on the trade. Have any of you seen Clague play? I have seen and spoken with people who have seen him play since peewee, he is a lock. Skinner came from a team that dominated up front in their league this year. Both good stuff right? The thing is, Skinner was not even close to the best goalie at the AB cup, I watched most of it. Best goalie in the draft? I hope so. I just would have rather seen Clague chosen by the Canes at 6th, and if he didn't want to report, and you couldn't get a good return on a trade after drafting him, leave him in AAA. All these games these kids play, I won't go here, maybe I'll play NCAA, it's crap. If you want to play in the whl, then play, no player is bigger than the league. I know most kids would give their left one to play a single shift in the league, for any team, so if they choose to not go to one team or another, don't let them play on any. Many of the first round kids, chose their own team, not the other way around. All of them had short lists, and told teams if yo pick me I won't report. Everyone wants to play for a winner, that's obvious, but it's supposed to be about making the team that chooses you a winner, not the other way around.
    vc124

Wheaties made a trade to get teams to pass on Clague. If Canes kept the pick, he would've been gone by 6. Doesn't mean it was a good trade, but there are facts missing from your post. Also, Clague was pretty clear about who he would and would not go to. As for leaving him in AAA? THAT would have been a wasted pick.
    And yes, Skinner was the best prospect at the AB Cup, not a lot of debate on that. The next AB goalie drafted was the Flames Kyle Dumba in the fourth. Skinner was a reach at 17, but he was the best Alta — and best NHL prospect — goalie in that draft.
    "To move up to sixth, the Wheat Kings sent the Lethbridge Hurricanes 20-year old goalie Corbin Boes and the 17th pick, which Brandon had acquired in the trade deadline deal that sent Mike Ferland to Saskatoon. The Wheat Kings also traded 18-year-old forward Geordie Maguire of Winnipeg and a third-rounder to the Regina Pats for draft considerations, which were in essence an agreement that the Pats would not take Patrick second overall." -- Brandon Sun

Default What was i wrong about?

I am sorry, what in my post left out facts? You said the exact same things i did just in a different fashion. Kids choose where they want to go, and this ow wrong. We live in an entitled world for our youth, and it's sad.
    vc124

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by canes watcher View Post
    Wheaties made a trade to get teams to pass on Clague. If Canes kept the pick, he would've been gone by 6. Doesn't mean it was a good trade, but there are facts missing from your post. Also, Clague was pretty clear about who he would and would not go to. As for leaving him in AAA? THAT would have been a wasted pick.
    And yes, Skinner was the best prospect at the AB Cup, not a lot of debate on that. The next AB goalie drafted was the Flames Kyle Dumba in the fourth. Skinner was a reach at 17, but he was the best Alta — and best NHL prospect — goalie in that draft.
    "To move up to sixth, the Wheat Kings sent the Lethbridge Hurricanes 20-year old goalie Corbin Boes and the 17th pick, which Brandon had acquired in the trade deadline deal that sent Mike Ferland to Saskatoon. The Wheat Kings also traded 18-year-old forward Geordie Maguire of Winnipeg and a third-rounder to the Regina Pats for draft considerations, which were in essence an agreement that the Pats would not take Patrick second overall." -- Brandon Sun
    Would Clague have reported to us? How much of a reach was Skinner?
    I would have preferred us to keep 6, trade up in the first for Skinner and hope to land a 20yr old after the draft.
    From what I hear Tak and Skinner are both highly rated guys (first round talent). So the draft apparently broke well for us. (Tak could have been a top 10-15 pick?)
    I am happy we finally addressed the goalie position and annoyed going into each season having to give up picks to address our goaltending position. Hopefully this is the last offseason we have to.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by here for the long run View Post
    Would Clague have reported to us?

Clague was fully committed to the WHL that's where him and his parents want him, so reporting wouldn't of been an issue.

I hope Skinner pans out for you guys, he will still be 3yrs away from making any sort of impact at all in the WHL, goalies rarely have an impact on there teams until they are at least 18yrs old. Which is a big reason why a lot of teams in both the CHL & NHL are not risking high 1st round picks on goalies anymore.

Goalies take a lot longer to develop and a lot turn into late bloomers

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    Clague was fully committed to the WHL that's where him and his parents want him, so reporting wouldn't of been an issue.

I hope Skinner pans out for you guys, he will still be 3yrs away from making any sort of impact at all in the WHL, goalies rarely have an impact on there teams until they are at least 18yrs old. Which is a big reason why a lot of teams in both the CHL & NHL are not risking high 1st round picks on goalies anymore.

Goalies take a lot longer to develop and a lot turn into late bloomers
    Committing to the WHL is A LOT different then reporting to the Hurricanes, who do not have a very good reputation for developing players.

Default You make a point.

Quote Originally Posted by canes77 View Post
    This whining from many of you is hilarious... what if Robson had just went ahead and drafted Skinner at #6? If you look at it that way, we got a free #1 goalie for a year in the deal. GO
    You make a valid point. Maybe Skinner was as good a pick at #6 as any body else would have been. So if the Canes just selected Skinner at #6, a few questions may have been asked, but probably not the **** storm we are getting now.

This in no way indicates my feelings about this trade but it makes sense. You get the guy (Skinner) that you wanted anyway and get a pretty decent 20 year goalie for free so to speak. This has to be how Robson sees this trade/pick go down.
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 07-18-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Default Canes watcher....

Quote Originally Posted by canes watcher View Post
    Wheaties made a trade to get teams to pass on Clague.

"The Wheat Kings also traded 18-year-old forward Geordie Maguire of Winnipeg and a third-rounder to the Regina Pats for draft considerations, which were in essence an agreement that the Pats would not take Patrick second overall." -- Brandon Sun
    From the certainty of your post, I can only assume you have INSIDE information. Do you have those kind of connections, or are you just expressing your opinion? I am not asking you to divulge your sources, but please give us the facts about your connections.

As for your post, you say the Wheat Kings made a trade to get teams to pass on Clague, plus made a trade with the Pats to leave Patrick alone. The Wheaties trade with the Pats to not take Patrick is fairly well known. No argument there. Where do you get the "Wheaties made a trade to get teams to pass on Clague" info from? Nothing I have seen suggests that this is what transpired.
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 07-19-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Default Well Caneswatcher?

I have yet to see you offer any actual facts to refute what I posted. You shouldn't throw around accusations if you can't back them up. I also know for a fact, that the Canes didn't even speak to Clague during their interview period, and he had no issues with reporting to the team. How can any expectations be different when the first ting our gm does is hire his son to be the director of scouting? I hope that the coaching changes are good ones, and that translates to a .500 season. At this point, I think that is a farily low one. I think the second round of playoffs minimum is where we should be, finnishing somwhere betwenn 5-7 overall. Time will tell.
    vc124

Default hard to believe.......

Quote Originally Posted by localguy View Post
    I have yet to see you offer any actual facts to refute what I posted. You shouldn't throw around accusations if you can't back them up. I also know for a fact, that the Canes didn't even speak to Clague during their interview period, and he had no issues with reporting to the team. How can any expectations be different when the first ting our gm does is hire his son to be the director of scouting? I hope that the coaching changes are good ones, and that translates to a .500 season. At this point, I think that is a farily low one. I think the second round of playoffs minimum is where we should be, finnishing somwhere betwenn 5-7 overall. Time will tell.
    people can be this dim, canewatcher states what he believe to be true as we all do, then you turn around and spew you non-sense about " I know for a fact " without listing where or who this fact comes from...your meaningless rambling speak volumes about the lack of grey matter up stairs...
    GO CANES GO.................