Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sbisa - will he be back?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
    Slag for no reason? What does this guy do on the ice? I know he is a good skater for his size but that's where the pros end and the cons begin. He does not play the body, can't lead/ orchestrate ant sort of breakout, gets muscled off the puck, and doesn't/ can't clear the front of the net. As a defenseman you must be able to do these jobs on the ice, very few can do all of them, but a 6' 5" 19 yr old has to be able to do at least one of them.
    When I say that he is better than the other guys it has more to do with how bad they are then Mestery being great.

He is not a top 2 defenseman but he is not nearly as bad as people make him out to be and unfortunately a lot better than the other guys we have back there.

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    When I say that he is better than the other guys it has more to do with how bad they are then Mestery being great.

He is not a top 2 defenseman but he is not nearly as bad as people make him out to be and unfortunately a lot better than the other guys we have back there.
    He is also 2-3 years older than all the guys back there, Ryckmann being the only one with whl experience on D. Castro has dub games, but not at D. He doesn't belong in the league, and did not look any batter than any of the young d men last night. Just plain embarassing, lazy penalties, and all the other things Sutton said. Problem is, we won't get anything for him in trade. We might as well have another rookie in his place, so he can learn, and we won't have to waste a 20yr old spot on him next year. And this is nothing like with Benny, Benny could actually play d, and the minutes he logged were not at a detriment to his team. I just don't see how he was touted as the big return in the Fadden trade.
    vc124

Quote Originally Posted by localguy View Post
    He is also 2-3 years older than all the guys back there, Ryckmann being the only one with whl experience on D. Castro has dub games, but not at D.
    If we were talking potential then age would matter but when talking about who is better right now not sure what age has to do with it.

He doesn't belong in the league, and did not look any batter than any of the young d men last night. Just plain embarassing, lazy penalties, and all the other things Sutton said.
    Mestery doesn't belong in the league? Come on. If that is the case then there are a lot of teams with guys that don't belong in the league and the Hurricanes aren't going to be able to ice a team this year if they go by that.

Problem is, we won't get anything for him in trade. We might as well have another rookie in his place, so he can learn, and we won't have to waste a 20yr old spot on him next year.
    You can say that about any older guy on the team. Why have Bancks here when we can have a younger guy learn in his place? or Braes? or Orfino? or Ashton? etc.

And this is nothing like with Benny, Benny could actually play d, and the minutes he logged were not at a detriment to his team.
    Mestery can play d and is not a detriment to the team at all.

I just don't see how he was touted as the big return in the Fadden trade.
    I would say the big return in the Fadden trade was getting rid of a lazy, one dimensional cancer that didn't want to be here.

If I was the Ice GM, I would offer to trade you Ryan Molle for nothing

If we were talking potential then age would matter but when talking about who is better right now not sure what age has to do with it.
    Mestery doesn't belong in the league? Come on. If that is the case then there are a lot of teams with guys that don't belong in the league and the Hurricanes aren't going to be able to ice a team this year if they go by that.
    You can say that about any older guy on the team. Why have Bancks here when we can have a younger guy learn in his place? or Braes? or Orfino? or Ashton? etc.
    Mestery can play d and is not a detriment to the team at all.
    I would say the big return in the Fadden trade was getting rid of a lazy, one dimensional cancer that didn't want to be here.
    Fadden has a pro contract and hated playing under Roy, all the other vets actually do what they are supposed to do, and add something to the team on the ice. When you have rookies playing as good or better than a 3 yr vet, that's a problem. Mestery coughs up the puck on a regular basis, can't play the body, doesn't play the puck either. What is he doing that helps? The opposition skates around him like he's not even there. I have watched every game he has played here, and there has been no improvement. I don't like to bash these guys because they are kids, maybe he will read this and get mad enough to elevate his game, nothing else seems to. I saw him lay one body check last year, and when he did it the guy went to the bench. So, he obviously does know how to do it, he just doesn't seem to want to, which is more my point than anything.
    vc124

Default Mestery STILL a Mystery

I made the drive up to Cranbrook to watch the season opener last night and can tell you it was a pathetic dispaly of hockey by our boy's all around. Mestery was a Disgrace on the back end I am not sure of the stats that only put him at -4, i was sure he was on the ice for 5 but oh well really what does it matter...the guy cant skate, will not hit, and IS a waste of a lineup space...we would have been better off to dress another one of the 16yr olds then have hiim in the line up. I didnt go to the game expecting a big win from our team but a total lack of offense to go with the expected lack of defense was hard to positive of any point in the game. The best player we had on the ice was little Sofilas who didnt get a lot of ice time but played his heart out when shifts were given. To sum up the first game from my standpoint it is going to be a long few weeks...heres hoping Preston makes a trade or two to shore up our D as any time you face 45-50 shots the odds are against you.....I never thought I could bring myself to say this but heres hoping Yadlowski gets back from camp soon!!haha

vci34

Default Getting back to the thread topic

Festerling was assigned to the AHL so one less competitor for Sbisa to beat out.

BugsBunny Guest

Icon32 Defense lacking.....

a lot of experience. That was obvious long before the first day of training camp. It was Stasiuk's defense (or lack of it) that Preston inherited. Now it will be up to Rich Preston to develop it and tinker with it so he gets what he wants. Having not seen either game, I won't comment on the goaltending, but certainly with a weak defense it does adversely affect the goaltenders. So it becomes a case of whether or not he goes after an overage goaltender and one overage D-man or two overage D-men, but at what cost. All the other teams in the "DUB" know that the Hurricanes are hurting on the blue line. Therefore the cost could go up.
    Mestery is a mystery. He has the size, he can skate (when he wants to), he can throw his weight around (when he wants to) and he can make good plays (when he thinks about it). Mestery's mystery lies not in the physical but the mental. At times he just seems like a lost soul. Maybe a long series of sessions with a sports psychologist could be a good investment. But for now, Mestery is more of a detriment and looks like anything but an asset.
    The kids on the blue line will develop, but they need leadership and Ross (one season) Yadlowski (two seasons) unfortunately can't provide it. Ryckman and Castro (should be let go) aren't the answers.

It will be interesting to see what Preston does this week.

clrkthj Go Canes Go!

BugsBunny Guest

Icon32 Overage D-men and goaltenders...

aren't that many around the league. There are only three teams that have 4 overage players that include 2 defensemen. They are Prince George, Spokane and Swift Current. Those would be the likely places to look. As for overage goaltenders, there are only three teams with 4 overages with a goaltender being one of 3 goaltenders listed by the team. Those teams are Medicine Hat, Portland and Prince Albert. Once again the pickings are slim. There are only two teams that do not have at least 3 overages and they are Kootenay (2)and Lethbridge (1).

As for Luca coming back, that pipedream should be left alone. Don't bank on money you don't have!

This will be a development year. No doubt about it! Come the trading deadline, players like Bancks, Ashton and Beech will become strong commodities.

clrkthj Go Canes Go!

Good to see the unfounded hate for Mestery is still around for this year.

I guess he can take over for Wright as the player the fans like to slag for no reason.

Outside of Ross, Mestery was roughly 1000x better than any other defensemen the Hurricanes dressed last night.
    Unfounded. You have seen him play have you not.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.