Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 roster

Seems to be getting more and more common these days. Prior to Sterzer, I can't really think of any significant Rebel player that just called it quits. Kirill Starkov was the last significant player to not report to the Rebels, however he was drafted and signed by an NHL team and was still trying to chase the dream.

Just a different mentality in general with the younger generation, and I think they are getting a lot more hockey shoved down their throats, and at earlier ages, and it is starting to take it's toll on them.

And then there was 26. I am guessing the Rebels are going to carry 23 (2 goalies, 8 defencemen, and 13 forwards) players for the season which means that 3 (1 defencemen and 2 forwards) players still need to be cut. Curious who everyone thinks it will be. Goalies are set. For Defencemen I am guessing that Fluery, Doetzel, Cote and Jansons are locks. Which leaves 1 of Charif, Mahura, Schmoorkoff, Strand and Grman to go. From what I have seen from the games I have been to, I think Charif and Grman make the team, not sure which of the other 3 goes though.
    For Forwards, I consider Bleakley, Polei, Maxwell, Johnson, Feser, Kopeck, Pawlenchuk, and Musil locks. That leaves 2 of Fafard, Burke, Chorney, Nell, Dixon, McCarty and deWit to be sent home. From what I have seen I would cut Fafard and Burke. That's just me. I am interested if anyone attended the two exhibition games to hear what their opinion is.

With the Rebels, there is always the numbers that they start the season with, and the numbers they have after the trade deadline. It also seems pretty likely that the Rebels are going to minus Fleury's services for, at best the first month of the season. I think that one of Strand and Schmoorkoff will go before the season starts. They both bring two different styles of game, and I would honestly be fine with keeping either of them.

My list of locks at forward is a little bigger. Nell was one of the best forwards in training camp and exhibition so far, deWitt has been tearing it up in exhibition, and I think that Burke, McCarty and Chorney have played well enough to stick. All eyes will be on Fafard and Dixon. If the Rebels are awarded the rights to host the Memorial cup, which I think is announced in October some time, I think that they are less likely to upgrade their overage situation (barring a complete goaltending collapse), as they will want as much of their resources available for improving the roster next season.

Per the Advocate, Jansons is out 8-10 weeks with an upper body injury. Grman hurt his foot blocking a shot; no indication in the article of the severity or time frame. Polei was/is hurt but Sutter seems to expect him back for Friday. Doetzel and Johnson should be in the lineup for the season opener as well.

Starting to get excited to see some hockey again. Hopefully work will allow me to get to the opener.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 09-15-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Wouldn't be the Rebels if they didn't have an important part of the team out for a decent chunk of the season... Can't wait for Friday!

So far so good. If Burman had been on his game at all they would be 3 - 0 to start the season. Scoring by committee has looked really good from our forward lines. I think I am most impressed so far with the way the Rebels defence has looked and that is without one of the top defensemen in the WHL in the line up. It is early yet but nice to see some points going up on the board. Good tests coming up this week in Brandon and Regina which will give a better idea on where this team is really at.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    So far so good. If Burman had been on his game at all they would be 3 - 0 to start the season. Scoring by committee has looked really good from our forward lines. I think I am most impressed so far with the way the Rebels defence has looked and that is without one of the top defensemen in the WHL in the line up. It is early yet but nice to see some points going up on the board. Good tests coming up this week in Brandon and Regina which will give a better idea on where this team is really at.
    I'm looking forward to it, too.

Seems like a yearly rite of passage for Hoflin to get humiliated at the Centrium. Don't remember happened last year, but I remember they lit him up for like five goals in the first period or something silly like that two years ago as well.

The most encouraging thing so far in the young season is reading Sutter's comments about how receptive everyone is to what he's selling, how much the kids are buying in, etc. A stark contrast to the lack of cohesion, identity, and leadership last year, seemingly. I hope it stays that way.

By his comments in the Advocate, Sutter is planning on getting Grman out there for his first taste of WHL action at some point on this road trip, Fleury could be in the lineup as early as tonight, and Toth will start.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 10-02-2014 at 11:14 AM.

I am interested in see who comes out if Grman and Fluery tag in. Strand and Mahura have looked really solid in the games I have seen. Does Dixon get pulled out? He has really stepped his game from last year and seems to have a little smarter head on his shoulders when it comes to the stupid penalties this year. I guess it is a situation where the coaching staff says that they need everyone and it isnt anything that you have done wrong for why you are coming out of the line-up. Should keep the boys putting the effort in knowing that if they let up for a game, there are two capable guys waiting there to take their place. I am sure Burman will get into at least one game on the road trip so hopefully he can loose the nerves he had in the opener and have a bounce back game.

So just when you think things are looking up, the Rebels have an uninspired game like that against a team lower in the standings than them. They got 30 shots but it didn't sound like any of them were real quality chances. I guess anyone can have a bad game. Will be interesting if they bounce back in the next one or if this ends up being the same inconsistent team we seen last year. I can only guess that Sutter's comments are going to revolve around a lack of preparation. Maybe the coaches need to be spending more time helping these kids prepare for games.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    They got 30 shots but it didn't sound like any of them were real quality chances.
    I watched the webcast, and they actually had a whole bunch of quality chances, but Sawchenko slammed the door on them. The first goal was a tough one to let in, and really seemed to take the wind out of their sails. They needed those two points pretty bad, because their schedule isn't real easy now for a while. After the twenty or so bad passes/turnovers by Charif last night, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Mahura draw in for him for a game or two.