Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Blades Training Camp 2011....

Default Blades Training Camp 2011....

Figured I'd start the training camp thread...

I know it's only Day 1 and these guys still got a few more days to go before camp is technically over but I've been impressed with what I see so far...

Starting with the 96's. Hickmott and Graham I noticed quite a bit up front and at the backend I was pretty impressed with Saskatoon local Connor Swystun who is only 5'8 but was all over the ice. It'lll be interesting to see if the Blades list him and keep an eye on him during the season, hopefully he'll grow a bit or at least get a bit stronger.

Going to the 95's, the 95's I noticed a lot were d-men. Brett Lernout is 6'4 and reminds me of Dietz. Good skater and has a good shot. Brad Reichardt is another guy I noticed, didn't look to out of place and could have a shot. Pichonsky I didn't notice to much on the ice but then again I wasn't really looking for him either, I'll try and watch him more closely tomorrow. I'd imagine those three though will be fighting for spots on the blueline.

The rookie forwards that I was impressed were with 17 yr old Kyle Haas, he was all over the ice and scored a goal. 18 yr old Damien Kulynych scored a nice break away shot just went top corner on Morrison. He skates well and had a pretty good year in the AJHL last year. I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the team.

Among the veterans. All were flying, Benson I believe it was took a shot in the foot / ankle and was in pain, hopefully nothing to serious. Sutter and Siemens were going at it a bit, Sutter was also flying around the ice, he needs to have a big year this year. Sure hope we get Dziurzynski back. They need him and Trask to lead the scoring, Stransky I think could score 20+ goals this year.

Speaking of Stransky, Makarov the Russian goaltender did well and got a shutout in his half of the game, looking forward to seeing him in pre-season and see if he can handle being the starting goaltender.

Dunno if they just listed this guy or invited him but Patrick Johnson from the Contacts is at camp, he's 18 and I was quite impressed with him, he to got a shut out in his half of the game, he looked good even in warm ups, he looked like he was quite focused. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the pre-season. Rite now he'd a guy I'd take in to the pre-season. The other goaltenders, Miner needs a season of midget AAA, Moodie should play a year of midget aaa as well. I think it'll be Johnson or Todd for that 3rd goaltender spot, Todd wasn't to bad though he let in a couple goals.

I'll post some more comments tomorrow if I get a chance to go to the scrimmages.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Figured I'd start the training camp thread...

I know it's only Day 1 and these guys still got a few more days to go before camp is technically over but I've been impressed with what I see so far...

Starting with the 96's. Hickmott and Graham I noticed quite a bit up front and at the backend I was pretty impressed with Saskatoon local Connor Swystun who is only 5'8 but was all over the ice. It'lll be interesting to see if the Blades list him and keep an eye on him during the season, hopefully he'll grow a bit or at least get a bit stronger.

Going to the 95's, the 95's I noticed a lot were d-men. Brett Lernout is 6'4 and reminds me of Dietz. Good skater and has a good shot. Brad Reichardt is another guy I noticed, didn't look to out of place and could have a shot. Pichonsky I didn't notice to much on the ice but then again I wasn't really looking for him either, I'll try and watch him more closely tomorrow. I'd imagine those three though will be fighting for spots on the blueline.

The rookie forwards that I was impressed were with 17 yr old Kyle Haas, he was all over the ice and scored a goal. 18 yr old Damien Kulynych scored a nice break away shot just went top corner on Morrison. He skates well and had a pretty good year in the AJHL last year. I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the team.

Among the veterans. All were flying, Benson I believe it was took a shot in the foot / ankle and was in pain, hopefully nothing to serious. Sutter and Siemens were going at it a bit, Sutter was also flying around the ice, he needs to have a big year this year. Sure hope we get Dziurzynski back. They need him and Trask to lead the scoring, Stransky I think could score 20+ goals this year.

Speaking of Stransky, Makarov the Russian goaltender did well and got a shutout in his half of the game, looking forward to seeing him in pre-season and see if he can handle being the starting goaltender.

Dunno if they just listed this guy or invited him but Patrick Johnson from the Contacts is at camp, he's 18 and I was quite impressed with him, he to got a shut out in his half of the game, he looked good even in warm ups, he looked like he was quite focused. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the pre-season. Rite now he'd a guy I'd take in to the pre-season. The other goaltenders, Miner needs a season of midget AAA, Moodie should play a year of midget aaa as well. I think it'll be Johnson or Todd for that 3rd goaltender spot, Todd wasn't to bad though he let in a couple goals.

I'll post some more comments tomorrow if I get a chance to go to the scrimmages.
    Thanks for the update Trav another couple players i have my eye on this training camp are zajac statchuk and daae never knew about Johnson good too see a local boy like that perform so well

Kulynych i think has a real shot to crack the roster Daae and Stovin better have strong camps they aint getting any younger

I saw Statchuk a few times but he didn't seem to be involved a whole lot but of course its only day one. Daae didn't look to bad. Zajac is only 16 so I imagine he'll spend another year of midget, hopefully AAA. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if there's no 16 yr old forwards on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    I saw Statchuk a few times but he didn't seem to be involved a whole lot but of course its only day one. Daae didn't look to bad. Zajac is only 16 so I imagine he'll spend another year of midget, hopefully AAA. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if there's no 16 yr old forwards on the team.
    No 16 year old forwards possibly seeing as the Blades are returning 10 vet forwards Brett Stovin would make 11 and Austin Daae would make a full 12 that would leave 1 extra spot and Hudson Morrison may just land it.

Well never know, a guy like A. Elliott might be made expendable by Kulynych. Haas was more noticeable then Morrison from what I saw but again only day 1.

Luc Soares was a player that really stood out to me in the first game. He has crazy speed and looked to have really good chemistry with Olsen.

What are your thoughts on Carson Boehm? Could he get put on the protected list? I was talking to him and he is playing Beardy's this year.

First scrimmage of day 2 over...

The guys that stood out...Makarov again got a shut out and made some really good saves, easily top goaltender so far. Hickmott and Pruden are going to b good. I wouldnt b surprised to see Bauml listed, he looks good. Stockl and Zajac looked pretty good as well but I think they could use another yr of AAA, no need to rush them. Pichorsky also looked good, him Lernout and Reichardt could n battling for one Dman spot

Out of the vets, hard to believe Stimpancik is only 17 and still considered a rookie kinda, he was really noticeable. Trask was probably the top vet in the first game, Alex Elliott wasnt noticeable to much, he's going to have to pick it up I think.

In the second game, I thought Johnson again played pretty decent in net, to me there's three goaltenders in the hunt for that second spot, Todd, Johnson and Morrison.

Kulynych and Haas again played well, they were all over the ice, I gotta think their both be playing pre-season, unless Kulynych decides to keep his options open but hopefully he'll sign and play this year, I think he can be a good third liner.

That Swystun kid needs to be listed, if the Blades don't then I dunno, yeah he's small and light but the guy skates very well and doesn't get caught out of position to much, with developing he could turn in to another Stephan Mann.

Soares wasn't to bad either, your right bout his speed, he does have it, needs to bulk up a bit though.
    Last edited by Trav; 08-26-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Anyone make it to camp today? I was there. A couple real good games in the afternoon. Makarov looks like the real deal. I agree on Stipancik too, he looks great.

The player stealing the show so far has to be Dietz though. He scored 5 goals today, including 4 in one game.

I really think Dietz can be a NHL draft steal. He has the size to play in the league, hopefully he'll just keep on improving.

Blades defense will be good this year. add one or two rookies and they'll be fine.

Anything on Kaelen Wall or Cody Young?