Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what killed the bruins

Default They had a buyer

Quote Originally Posted by bruiserfan View Post
    Agree that Abbotsford will not accept their team. But, they will have to find a way out of their ten year deal to the city to get out. The people there really don't deserve to get another team. PG will be on the move before then. Sad thing is the WHL and Ron Robison, as well as Burke and Porter, will not allow WHL back in Chilliwack for a long while as to not look bad.
    Abbotsford has bailed on their team but Chilliwack did not. We were just crapped on by the league.
    Media reports said that there was a buyer that was willing to keep the team in Chilliwack. But the league wanted no part of it. To me, that's a pretty underhanded stunt. The old boys club will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wheatiemaniac View Post
    Media reports said that there was a buyer that was willing to keep the team in Chilliwack.
    It's not just a media report, it's 100% true.

Moray Keith and Jim Bond who owned 25% of the Bruins, along with Justin Morneau were trying to buy the team and keep them in Chilliwack. Their offer was for more money than Victoria was offering but they were turned down.

Moray and Jim now own the BCHL Chiefs in Chilliwack (as they did before the Bruins came to town). They believe in the market here.

The move had nothing to do with new owners or attendance . Robison wanted a team in Victoria without expansion plain & simple . He wants teams in all the major markets in the west. Wpg may be next with the success of the Jets possibly an ownership situation like Calgary's. It also gives Brandon an instant rival.
    GO WARRIORS GO

I don't know the ins and outs and don't really follow or care too much about Abby. But I suspect the 10 yr deal could remain in place and do quite well if Calgary were to see the writing on the wall and move their affiliation elsewhere leaving the team open for a different club to move in. If it were possible to get the 'nucks affiliation to move in I'd bet the attraction of the Abby team would change drastically overnight. I don't know if it would be in the 'nucks interest, desire or ability with whatever contract they have. I guess I'm just saying there is a huge hurdle for a Lower Mainland team or one just on the perimeter to overcome when they put Calgary in the mix. I would have guess Toronto would be in the same boat here but I guess AA baseball must be the exception to the rule.

Having gone to a couple of the Heat's games and Chilli's games I'm surprised that the Heat didn't beat Chilli outa Dodge but I guess that's the backroom deals and contracts coming into play. 'Cause I certainly did not find the product even on par with the marketing of the WHL product. My opinion of course and mileage may vary.

Cheers

People have to get over that idea of the Canucks getting their affiliate in Abbotsford (or Victoria). RG Properties wanted the WHL, bluffed Robison and the B0G's by leading them to believe that the AHL and Canucks were sniffing around with Victoria when the truth was, Aquilini owned not a single dime of the Moose Franchise, had NO say in ANY relocation ideas, and the Moose would no longer be the Canuck's minor league team, but become the AHL team of the Jets.

2nd, the Canucks, because of the AHL Format, wanted their minor league team in the central/eastern time zone, and not on the island. Yes you have 41 home games, so a ferry ride or a helichopper ride away...but if you needed a call up when in Victoria, you need to either fly Victoria to Seattle or Vancouver, to Dallas or Chicago to Nashville. To bring them to Abbotsford will cause the same problems as Victoria.

Besides, why would Calgary want to alter their agreement or change their AHL Affiliation? They have a sweet deal where Abbotsford PAYS THEM for the Heat to stay. And I believe that if the Abby team was affiliated with anyone not a Northwest Division rival, you would have seen the people of Abbotsford embrace them more.

The Heat coming to town had less of an impact against the Bruins than the bad majority Bruins ownership. Porter alienated more people away than the Heat attracted. If Robison didn't have his backdoor dealings, and Jim/Moray were allowed like in the real business world, to buy out the other partners, the Bruins would be viable mid-market team. Jim, Moray and Glen (the President of the new Chiefs) have done more in the 6 months of their new team in the community, than the previous management team did in the last 3 seasons. Now that's a huge shame.

could abbotsford support a whl franchise, alot of whl fans in the valley must miss going to games , or still support the whl giants

Default The arena in Abbotsford.....

Quote Originally Posted by west coast View Post
    could abbotsford support a whl franchise, alot of whl fans in the valley must miss going to games , or still support the whl giants
    is state of the art, and would be perfect for a WHL team. But it would have to be them and only them. The AHL is not selling as well as they hoped in Abby. Lease or no lease, if they can't make money in that market, they'll find a way out of their lease and they'll move out. There has been talk that this is the only thing keeping the Cougars in PG right now. This apparently is the reason why the WHL would not allow the local group to buy the Bruins and keep them in Chilliwack.

I don't believe that having a team in Abby is keeping the WHL out of Chilliwack.

If the WHL and the Brodskys had their way the Cougars would be in Chilliwack right now. They tried almost as soon as the Bruins left. One of the reasons Toigo was so on board with the Bruins moving to Victoria was because he believed the Cougars would move to Chilliwack. However, Brodsky doesn't want to sell and Moray wants to own the team in his rink so it didn't happen.

Can't say I'm too disappointed. Would Brodsky really be any better than Porter? I don't think so.
    Last edited by BruinsFan19; 01-08-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BruinsFan19 View Post
    I don't believe that having a team in Abby is keeping the WHL out of Chilliwack.

If the WHL and the Brodskys had their way they would be in Chilliwack right now. They tried almost as soon as the Bruins left. One of the reasons Toigo was so on board with the Bruins moving to Victoria was because he believed the Cougars would move to Chilliwack. However, Brodsky doesn't want to sell and Moray wants to own the team in his rink so it didn't happen.

Can't say I'm too disappointed. Would Brodsky really be any better than Porter? I don't think so.
    All you have to do is look at the MESS they made in PG.
    GO WARRIORS GO

Someone mentioned the "failure" of the Victoria team. Not sure how this group is a failure. Plenty of good, young players. A couple first year 18 yr olds in Nelson and Walker have worked out well. I expect next season, the Royals should be one of the more competitive teams in the BC Division.