Thread: Giants 9 Cougars 1 - Oct 18, 2014

Default Giants 9 Cougars 1 - Oct 18, 2014

Disappointed to get in my car and not be able to listen to the post-game show and instead listening to some Whitecaps talk and the tail end of a boring Canucks game on the two channels. Good game, all hands playing well and some moments of pure excitement. A devilish part of me wanted double digits though

Giants Bury Kitties
    Vancouver 9 Prince George 1

The Giants play well at home especially versus the Cats, who stung them last weekend for two close games in PG, but have been blown out twice already coming to the Rink on Renfrew. This young Giants squad seems to get a lift from the hometown crowd, but have so far struggled on the road. Two hat tricks tonight, one from Jackson Houck and the other from Alec(x) Baer who notched first Dub hatty. Some dominant play. Leading 5-0 coming out the second period the Gs shredded the Cougar’s back-up for four goals in the third. The Giants grabbed a hold early and did not let go for the whole 60. Lee made a poor deflection into open ice for his only goal against and never had to be great, but he was solid on the night. Why the Gs could not finish on the road is still a mystery to me as they have seriously controlled all ends of the ice versus the Cats playing at the Coliseum. I suppose they were missing Arvin Atwal more than I thought ( ).

Jackson Houck opened the scoring on the PP just over 6 minutes into tonight’s tilt. A nice backhand pass behind the net by Joel Hamilton to Carter Popoff who got it out to a wide open Houck cutting down the slot. Oddly this happened just as I was commenting that we needed someone to go to the front of the net. Bing, Bang, Boom back of the net by someone cutting to the front of the net. Alec Baer added another one a few minutes later, off of Dalton Sward and Mason Geertsen. Putting home Sward’s rebound behind Ty Edmonds, the same goalie who had the boys frustrated in PG. At the end of the period, Baer lifted a brilliant backhand top corner far side on Edmonds off of a sweet Tyler Benson feed. The Gs kept it rolling in the second. Matt Bellerive found twine off of Thomas Foster 12:10 into the middle frame. Carter Popoff put home another nice Benson feed, assisted by Houck, a few minutes later.

The final frame saw the Cougars insert their back-up between the pipes and the poor 16 yr old kid got shell-shocked. Very early in the third, on a carryover penalty from the end of the second, Houck scored his second goal, off of Arvin Atwal. Houck completed the hatty less than 4 minutes later. Popoff and Hamilton combined getting the puck to Jackson for his hat trick goal. The same crew scored a PP marker a couple of minutes after that, when Hamilton scored off of Houck and Popoff. Baer scored his first hat trick in the Dub a couple of minutes later, wheeling and firing at the net and finding some twine. The Cats broke Lee’s second straight shut-out bid late in the period, as the puck caromed off of Lee’s shoulder and into open ice where a Cougar player found the back of the net.

Team Notes: Coming off a 3-0 win last night versus the Blazers the Giants were prepped to take on the Cougars. Alec Baer notched his first WHL hat trick tonight. 16 yr old Gage Ramsey had some fourth line minutes, which were more than usual due to the massive lead. The late PP chances for the Giants saw the third and fourth lines taking turns playing with the man-advantage.

Fight Night: Mason Geertsen and Sam Ruopp had the only fight of the night. Geertsen got some shots in early and when Ruopp’s lid popped off Geertsen scored few more big strikes getting the take-down and the decision.

Zebra Cage:
    Kevin Bennett and Ryan Benbow – a few soft calls, but mostly okay, but late in the game it was clear they went into the kind of reffing I truly hate and it’s more a league fault than the individual refs. They went into the truly egregious “game management” mode, calling multiple softies to even out the calls and control the game. Hey WHL and other hockey leagues: The refs need to call infractions, not “manage games” it’s a very slippery slope imnsho.

Broadcast: I am getting really rather pissed off that the Gs are happy to be the fourth cousin, eight times removed on the TSN radio network. These online only games are seriously bullshyte and the Giants would do well to make a deal with a radio station that is willing to carry all of the games on the radio and not be shoved to the side for the Lions, Canucks, Whitecaps, NFL football or other talky talk bullshyte. Even the internet radio providers, such as Tune-In radio on my phone can’t even represent the Giants as the thing being broadcast, but label it as Bob Mojanovich or some such crap ( oddly the Canucks come up as “Canucks”, Lions come up as “Lions” and even the Whitecaps come as “Whitecaps” – funny that eh?). Talk about being fifth class citizens. Not impressed in the least. We had two “online only” games the entire season last year and this year we have already had two and one more at least planned this month alone. This is truly insulting in my mind and makes it tough for casual fans to find the freaking game, let alone diehards. Time for a real change as this being shuffled down the list to cater to TSN radio’s whim sucks big hairy ballsack.

The Gs out shot the Cougars 36-27. They went 3 for 6 on the PP, while holding the Cats to 0 for 5. It was actually a decent game. There were some very nice hockey plays being made. The forecheck and intensity from the home town boys was very strong and they hustled well on the back check. The Cougars by contrast really lacked any pushback whatsoever and Ty Edmonds who held them in the games in PG, looked very ordinary in this one. Not too many Giants passengers in the tilt as everyone seemed ready to play on their shifts. I would say that none of the penalties were really careless or damaging except maybe Dosanjh’s checking to the head, but even that was mostly invisible from my seat.

The Gs need to take the momentum from the past two tilts on the road with them. With a re-match with the Blazers In K-town on Wednesday and then two in Victoria next weekend, they need to find wins on the road and ideally come out with two out of the three. The skill is there and under Troy G Ward the boys are playing a more exciting and challenging form of hockey. They have the ability to bring the same game to the fore away from their home barn and will need to do so to be a contender.

Three Stars:

1. Jackson Houck
    2. Alec Baer
    3. Mason Geertsen

Dondo’s Hardhat:
    It’s hard to argue with Houck’s production. A hat trick plus two helpers makes him the hardhat dude of the game. I liked seeing Baer get the nod for the team’s centre honour player at the end of the game though. If you don’t know what I am talking about; the Giants have instituted a circle at centre ice win or lose and select a player to be in the centre to bang his stick and lead the ritual who they deemed to be the best on the night. Houck being a veteran probably deferred to Baer in tonight’s case and that’s another reason to give him the hardhat.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Thxs Dondo for your updates. I enjoy reading them and "often" submit differing angles. I missed both home games this weekend and "missed" hearing the post game tonight ..I think we should voice our opinion much like you are doing.

Great game, the best so far in this young season. I too, was hoping for 10 goals but I'll take the 9 they got tonight. Also great to see Geertsen fight at home & folks on the webcast caught it as well unlike the loser in PG.

I must say I am happily surprised how many goals the Giants are scoring. Sure, Edmonds was hot in PG & the Giants only scored 2 in two games but they could've won both if Edmonds wasn't so hot.

Same goes for Lee. I thought goaltending & scoring would be their downfall but as the goals have been going in, Lee has been equal to the task. Maybe the threat of Kubic & Porter having better camps was enough to get Lee to get into gear. He's been very good this season & a big part of the wins.

As for the broadcast, I listen to all home games at the game & it was disappointing to have no pre or post game show. I understand your frustration, but I don't think anything will change as 1040 & 1410 drive the sports in this city. I agree, the Giants fans should not have to take a back seat to those teams but they will, & will continue to do so. I like that they have finally got a full time announcer who knows what he's talking about & the set up with Wilms & Brook Ward works well with me.

As for the best player tonight, I'm going with Geertsen. He was a +4 on the night & also had a great tilt.

Depending on when Stukel & Ronning are back they will have a few extra bodies barring any other injuries. Some moves will have to be made.

I've been away for awhile. Curious how Benson has been playing and pts this yr. he suppose to be the second coming to everything I've heard coming from the giants PR lol

Thanks

Price Is Right:

He is worth the price of admission. He is not flashy but if you watch him and you know hockey he will amaze you with his little skills! Best player on the Giants!!

Oh. Hope your not being sarcastic lol. I'll be back watching next home game.

Thanks

Benson has been excellent. He had a couple of assists last night especially the one on the Popoff goal that was a hell of a pass. Pure talent.

Good to hear .

Benson has incredible vision and is a very smart hockey player. As said above, if you watch how he plays without the puck you will see that this 16 yr old will be freaking amazing as he grows in the Dub.

He is not Brule, but his playmaking skills and willingness to go to the tough places on the ice makes him a more complete player. He might not put up the huge numbers he did in bantam or with the POE, but he'll be a top scoring player.

He's already making Bellerive look better than he is. I know I have been on Matt since he came back and he's making strides, but I still have my doubts. He's been most effective playing with Benson and Foster, though.

A Shot From The Corner

One thing scrunt and I noticed lately though is that the Giants need to work on their face-offs. We lose a hell of a lot draws. If we can shore that up we will start with the puck more and be consistently more dangerous.

A Shot From The Corner